I want to strict press 32kg

@hcwewvcw02 It took me a while to go from strict pressing 24s to push-pressing 32kg. Going from 20 to 32 is not that far off from going from 24 to 40 - with the best will in the world, it just wouldn't be possible (at least for my body). The difference is just too great.

Appreciate it's not necessarily what you want to hear, but it's just the nature of the beast that you can't really just skip huge steps in building up weight like that.

@sfva I respect this opinion but I really feel like it’s limiting. Sure it might take a long time, and you might have to get really creative with your approach - but it is certainly not an impossible task, and you’ll learn a lot about your body and training overall along the way!

@jvk1214 Sure, I can see what you mean. I guess I'm just a bit conservative in my approach as it's been a gradual improvement for me, and it's been pretty apparent when I've tried to push it too far and too fast that that's what has lead to injury. But hey, everyone's body is different!

@hcwewvcw02 I think any stepping stone is better than none, yeah. If you do anything with the 32 with good form on a consistent basis it will make you stronger. But at the end of the day, it does feel a bit like asking "how can I take my 5k time from 40 minutes to 25 minutes" - it's just a massive gap that requires incremental improvement over time, and if the actual tools you have to hand don't allow incremental use then it's tricky.

@hcwewvcw02 This sounds like an interesting challenge. It’s definitely possible, and I would love to help you out along the way if you want. I bet we can get you there.

@hcwewvcw02 I’ve consistently worked with 24s for a long time. My rep totals in a big workout go 50 plus with about 10-15 single set on a good day. I can strict press my 32 for about 2-4 and then I end up push pressing. Hope that helps, not sure what the 20-32 jump would look like.

@faithinhim777 Thanks for the info I do similar to you. I do 3 warm up sets then 5 working sets of 7-10 reps twice a week
. Do you think there is a formula for calculating max strict press like there is for bench press?

@hcwewvcw02 Not sure about that. I’ve noticed some folks are genetically strong pressers and can make leaps. When I was too weak to get a strict rep with the 32, I’m a fan of good form push press or jerk to get a feel for the weight overhead and good control of the bell.

@hcwewvcw02 This is an interesting question! I’m also interested in pressing the 32, but I also have a 24. I can do a few Turkish getups, cleans, and push presses with the 32, so I would maybe try some of those other exercises. Really, I think you just have to start getting really comfortable with the 32. Do what you can with it, up the volume, and I think you could get there. Get creative!

Back