Josh Bridges movement standards in 16.4

@jaylgee1 Gotta say this is exactly why Crossfit gets a bunch of hate in the fitness community.

Each guy is showing bad form to varying degrees on many of the movements. The deadlifts especially are atrocious. The guy all the way on the left didn't have a single good rep.

Everyone is cheating on the movements in order to go faster and spend less energy, the very thing Crossfit is criticized for.

@jaylgee1 Look at his posture while doing reps vs when he drops the bar to take a break. See that? He stands up straight, not bent at the waist. That's what he should look like at the top of each rep: hip and knees extended, shoulders (would be) behind the bar.

@jaylgee1 I would say Bridges is inconclusive. Looks like no rep on first glance but watching again and in slow motion I think he's OK. But man, the guy in the left wasn't even close. It's even more egregious watching in slow motion!

@sonali Holy shit, you weren't joking about that guy on the left. Watching shit like this makes you realize a bunch of people ahead of you on the leaderboard that really shouldn't be.

@rissa0264 This is the main reason I don't let the white board get to me, so many bro reps and cheat reps and bad standards at probably any gym, the only person you can be confident in is yourself.

@sonali I saw the same thing, but from what I watched it didn't look like he had a judge, so he probably wasn't doing it for the open.

edit: nevermind, watched further in and saw his judge.

@sonali I woudn't have noticed that. It's almost like he's making more work for himself by bending his elbows and leaning for ward at the top.

@dawn16
Starting at the floor, the barbell is lifted until hips and knees reach full extension with the shoulders behind the bar. The arms must be straight throughout. No bouncing.

he's also not meeting standard if bending elbows, so multiple problems there!

@jaylgee1 His deadlifts are text book perfect compared to the guy on the far left. Holy shit! Maybe it was one of those visual tricks where if you insert someone into the video that will pull the distraction from the main focal point.

@jaylgee1 One of the problems I have is that I can't see his knees extend when his hips are extended when his shoulders are behind the bar. Those silly long baggy shorts hide the required standard.

"Starting at the floor, the barbell is lifted until hips and knees reach full extension with the shoulders behind the bar. The arms must be straight throughout. No bouncing."

Seriously, how are you supposed to be able to prove you've met the requirement when you have a wardrobe malfunction? Or was that on purpose like Janet J?

Suck it up and wear apparel that shows you meet the standard when it's being judged. Be "fashionable" when you're not.

@jaylgee1 Obviously it's very suspect. Bridges does this interesting thing where he quickly pulls his shoulders back at the "top" and it appears that it fools the judges into thinking he's fully open.

I mean, I will give it to CJ that he was no repping the really really obvious HS no-reps.

Last note: Someone mentioned that bridges is "too-wide" to be able to pass over the line but it really depends on body length.

@johnthree16 The HSPU Standard is based on each individuals "body length". Feet under the hips, toes against the wall, arms extended up, thumbs touching on the wall and three inches down from the wrist. How both his arms and his legs can be that far apart and his feet still get way over the line is honestly beyond me if they truly followed the standard.

Back