Transformation after 30

@catd I've been into sports and fitness for my entire life. My dad used to take me to the gym as a kid (which, by the way, I recommend everyone get their kids comfortable in the gym in a reasonable manner). I did fall off of it in my late 20s and early 30s. I think I started getting serious about it at 33 and now at 40 I'm in the best shape of my life.

Late 30s things were so much easier than when I was younger because I have the money to dedicate to quality food, gym membership, gym gear, etc. and I have more discipline and self-worth than I've ever had before.

So even with a lifetime of being in the gym, so far my best year is at 40.

@dynamitex
Late 30s things were so much easier than when I was younger because I have the money to dedicate to quality food, gym membership, gym gear, etc.

This is huge. So often when I see people in their early 20s wondering what the secret is to maintaining a fitness routine, I feel like ... well, a lot of it is just time and money. One reason I don't feel too much regret about getting a late start is because even if I had discovered fitness in my 20s, would I have felt like I could spend money on gym stuff? No, I would not.

Which is not to say that people can't and don't persevere through life-force-draining low-paid jobs to still do impressive fitness stuff. But I think it is genuinely extraordinary when they do!

@catd I'm 29 this year and only just got into lifting weights last year. Seeing all the comments on here makes me feel less nervous about turning 30 next year. Hoping to continue to lift, see more progress and build more muscle!

@lotusgirl I’m the healthiest and most mentally stable I’ve ever been in my 30s. My teens and 20s were a hot mess. There’s nothing to fear from turning 30. By this point, many of us have relinquished giving a fuck about pointless shit to wind and turned our focus inward.

@debyfabienne
My teens and 20s were a hot mess. There’s nothing to fear from turning 30

Lmao hear hear! I feel like when I entered my late 20s suddenly life became a lot more stable, I had more money and more agency than I ever did before and I was finally starting to live life like how I really want to. Can't wait to see what my 30s will bring!

@catd Interestingly I found it nigh impossible to put on much weight, (except briefly when on pills that caused weight gain as a side effect, and unfortunately then it wasn’t muscle) when I was younger. So my choices were between being skinny or just slightly chubby. I had a lot of other things complicating the situation too, which just got worse in my 20s.

Then I hit my 30s and went into early menopause and got a little bit heavier, but also got visible abs suddenly (only a 4 pack, but still). Did not expect that…
Then I full on bulked and probably need to run a little cut to get them back now, granted, but I gained a lot more strength and feel great so it was worth it.

@catd YES. I started lifting when I was 17 so I was always quite strong, but never big and muscular like I so desired. I turned 29 and, bam, just like that I was able to gain some much desired weight and for the first time in my life build larger muscles and even some fluff. I love my body so much more than I did in my early 20s and I'm excited for 30! You look awesome, happy for you!

@catd I can afford better food as I get older, which has helped a lot. In my 20s I ate a lot of cheap carbs, ramen, rice, pasta, bread, and definitely not enough protein and nutrient rich foods needed to be healthy and strong. So lucky to be able to be in a position to pick the healthier options now.

@leadbyexample12 This resonates. I remember being really cost-conscious, started out my twenties on food stamps and eating scraps I snuck from the hotel where I worked. I am so bougie now, its almost kind of embarrassing

@catd I'm definitely stronger and more in tune with my body, or whatever, but I don't feel like that's because of anything that's changed biologically. I'm older and bitchier and more stubborn, and my god those are powerful forces.

I have the time to commit to something for years. I have the life experience to know that obstacles on a path tend to be temporary. At 42, I'm not switching schools/cities/jobs every few years like I was as a young adult, and I'm not having babies every few years or taking care of little children anymore.

I've also seen so much more of the world, including the fitness world. For everybody who says "never do x, it's bad for you" I've seen people who swear by X as the reason for their success. After so many rounds of this, you stop getting into that "paralysis by analysis" that beginners often hit. If you're putting in effort, consistency, food, and time, you can't go too far wrong.

In short, I have the perspective and the drive to continue finding a way forward instead of getting easily discouraged. And fewer fucks to give.

@anon103 Well as someone who had a baby late, I still have a little kid around and not much time. But I definitely agree with your third paragraph, I've seen lots of fitness trends, and also remember the days when we didn't have quite so much information and people still got results. Like you say, the details don't necessarily matter so much.

@eternum I’m having my family on the latter half of my 30s and I just think of my time as more valuable now. I don’t want to fuck around as much I want to be efficient.

@anon103 It's so much easier to take the long view when you already have the long view, right?

At 57 after some huge life changes I'm just glad to be able to eat better (menopause made my IBS less crazy) and to have the resources to get to the gym often. My goal is to still be lifting at 90, if I even live that long. At 22 I had different goals and a fresh garden of fucks left to give. :)

@saintcody777 I also have a building of mostly people who are 75+, but they are so immobile. It sadly also keeps me focused because I want to set myself up for the best chances possible to be independent and active at that age.

@debyfabienne If I ever need motivation to work out, I just need to think about my father (dead of a stroke at 60) and my mom (partially disabled and life savings drained by age 80). Neither of them were consistently active, and they weren't great about nutrition either. Bad genes, and my only weapons against them are exercise and good food.