Renaissance Periodization - How To ACTUALLY Build Muscle As Fast As Possible

@confusedgirl98 With that logic you could train everyday with something like a PPL split. There's a reason that even professional bodybuilders take full rest days. It's not just for individual muscle groups, but to recover from central nervous system fatigue, tendons, joints, etc.

@trumpeter2 I don't know about that though. If the volume is the same, it's generally less fatiguing to spread the work. Would you get more "total soreness" from doing 2 sets of pull ups to fail every morning and evening, or 14 sets to failure each monday?

@dorsetanglican97 1) there is a minimal effective volume. Something like 2 sets might be less than that.

2) it is more fatiguing to spread the work as you dont get as much complete rest and the sfr will generally be better later in a workout.

This is also why you usually do things like heavy-light-medium for strength training.

@jcreigns
  1. That's obviously a minimal effective volume per week, or microcycle or whatever. If it wasn't, it would be impossible to get bigger from doing the "one set of pushups every time you enter your house" time of thing. If you did 10 sets of squats in a day, but rested an hour between each set, would you have done 0 effective sets?
  2. "complete rest" is probably very individual dependent. And I don't know about sfr being better late. What I do know for sure is that you get better gains in the beginning of the workout. And if you have more workouts, you can have more time in the beginning of workouts. If you have shorter workouts, you're not going to get as fatigued.

@dorsetanglican97 As fast as possible is not relevant for novices.

1) 10 random sets wont help you if you are traind. You would have to warm up each time etc. When you get better the stimuli will have to be of larger magnitude. Its the whole marathon runner debate again.

2) you are right you are better at the start of a workout. The stimuli is higher but so is the fatigue.

Sfr gets better because you need less load to go to failure and technique is better tuned in.

Your approach would give better gains, if you do more volume in a week. However the risk of overuse is also larger.

@jcreigns
  1. Idk man is there anything that would point to that being true? During lockdown I did the whole one set per hour of pull ups thing at home and got to 25 pull ups from 10 at 95kg/235lbs, which is definitely trained. Some very serious weightlifters and gymnasts also frequently train many times a day and have serious mass and strength. I get the marathon example, but if that was correct, why do we even rest between sets? Why not just do one set of 2000 air bicep curls?
  2. Yea I can't say I'm sure you're not correct here. I think this Issa individual based and has very little statistical significance probably.

@dorsetanglican97 1) Frequency is very good for strength. All these people are peopld where skill practice is important. If you want to be really good at something defenitly practice a lot.

I would have to look up the refs in Mikes book to give your scources for minimum effective volume. But I dont think its a far strech to say that there is an amount of something you have to do at a time to get better at it.

Also 1 set per hour is a huge amount of volume, which helps a lot. It doesnt mean its optimal though.

The reason why we need to rest is because we care about reps close go failure. Also we know hypertrophy starts tapering off after 30 reps per set.

2) its mainly a problem for very strong people or people who do huge amounts of training. So advanced people.

@ugr I mean if you have a busy life is really not possible to do it. If you got nothing else to do then yes I agree it's entirely possible.

@maria28 It is correct. I love it. I think the hardest part of this is training 6 days a week. And he does say in the video 5 or 6. Still, I think that is what most people will struggle with. 6 days is burnout town. Most people do better with 4 days or less. But he never specifies how many times you’re hitting muscle groups each week. If it’s 3x then yes 6 days a week in the gym is optimal. If less, the UL split is more efficient than PPL. But w/e. Splits are whatever you want.

@cheung The hardest part is the eating and sleeping.

You should hit each muscle 1) at least twice a week 2) when it is recovered. This mean likely twice for things as quads and closer to 4 for things like side delts.

@musingsinscripture Experience and testing. Since it change as you get stronger and life variables change.

Lets say you train quad twice a week. Do some amount of training for quads. Then when you arent sore anymore and is ready to repeat or beat last weeks performance train again.

You probably have a set time between days you train quads. You just add or remove volume so it match that period of time.

When you come in after a deload you usually just do enough volume to get a pump/light disruption. Then next week you either add/remove or do nothing with the number of sets depending on if you where ready to train quads again on the second legg day last week.

Since you adapt to volume fast.

Over time you will get a pretty good picture of things.

@cheung
But he never specifies how many times you’re hitting muscle groups each week.

Yeah he does... he says most muscle groups should be hit between 2 and 3 times each week. That would indicate that you either do an upper-lower split, or a modified split. For example, an Arnold (antagonistic) split or an upper-lower-arms, where your arms/delts are theoretically hit directly in the arms workout and indirectly in the upper workout.

@maria28 For what it’s worth, this is exactly what the training app has me doing, and I’m making insane strength gains and my weight keeps climbing up with minimal fat gain