Ways to increase strength safely but quickly ? Am I being too hard on myself?

alphatuff

Hello,

I started lifting w regularity about 3 years ago. At the time I was a true beginner and couldn’t even squat 65 without pain or bad form. Now my form has been perfected but my PR is 160 for 5. I try to tell myself progress is progress but I can’t help feeling like I should be able to do more. A little more about me I’m 35 female, I don’t use any supplements like preworkout or creatine. My PR deadlift is 235 and my bench press PR is 105. For 3 years is this below average, average, or pretty good ? I guess I’d just like to know ! And what are some things you did to increase your power quickly but safely ? Thank you 😊

@alphatuff Those aren’t bad numbers for a female depending on your body weight and height really

Follow a real program, eat for growth

Once your plateau for the first time and hit your first ceiling there is no “quick and safe way”

Now it’s time to really put the work in

Your bench is 105

This is an extremely basic example

Do 6x4 at 80% if your 1rm on Monday. So 6x4
Working weight of 85lbs for 6 sets of 5 reps. then on Thursday bench again doing 4x6 with 75% add in accessory work like Larsen press, close grip press, board bench, banded bench so on and so on. These are just examples don’t do them all pick one or two and so 3x8-15 reps.

Start doing triceps accessory work at the end of every workout

Start some standing OHP

This is just bench volume do the same for squat and deadlift

Follow a program that is 1rm based

@alphatuff I'm not familiar with any of those programs so I guess I can't speak to how good they might me.

But, if you're making progress and enjoying yourself, that's more than good enough

@alphatuff Rhat sounds like a bad idea follow a proven program not some random program from a bodybuilder app

Sounds like you want to progress the main lifts so follow a powerlifting program, a bodybuilding program will mostly be about isolation and hypertrophy

@alphatuff It's not even just progress is progress, but it's also you versus you. At the end of the day, you can compare numbers to others all you like, but it's not going to do anything except probably leave you feeling not great (unless you're doing better than the person you're comparing yourself too haha). But, for three years, I think your progress is very solid, for what it's worth!

@alphatuff Turn up the protein intake and follow a 5x5 program. You'll either find your ceiling quickly or find out that you have more potential than you originally thought. Good luck!

@alphatuff Is it using a top weight based off your 1rm

Are you doing that top weight for all 3 sets and not counting your warmup reps as working sets a lot of new people make those mistakes

@dawn16 The deadlift and bench press are my 1 rep max and I haven’t tested my 1 rep max for a squat in a while so I just gave the numbers I did yesterday and I did not include warmup reps

Edit: I realized I misunderstood your question lol from my understanding you’re supposed to do the weight you can do the most of and struggle a little at the end for 5 reps for all 3 sets and not counting warmups

@alphatuff I’ve had some good success making gains by eating more and going from squatting 1x/week to 2x/week (imagine that, lol), usually 4-5 sets each workout.

@alphatuff I’ve been lifting 3.5 years and was about where you are now at year 3 and Ihave a coach/attend classes at a strength and conditioning gym. I think those are good results! In case it’s helpful I’ll tell you what helped me break a bit of a plateau (eg my squat was stuck at 195 for a while):

-better recovery (sleep, nutrition, mobility, hydration, stress management)

-5g creatine/day

-increased my protein goal from 90g to 120g+

-increased training load (volume/number of days training)

-power training: plyo, kettlebell swings

-2/3 strength work 1/3 cardio, mostly HIIT

-signed up and competing in a powerlifting event at my gym to motivate my training

Back