What can I do when I’m young to keep healthy when I’m older?

@idontlikeobama Whatever you use, look for both UVA and UVB protection. So a high SPF will protect against burning and a high UVA rating will prevent skin ageing and protect against cancer. Not sure how they rate UVA elsewhere but in Europe it's a star rating up to 5 stars - the higher the better.

SPF moisturiser and SPF in make up will not be enough to give protection because it's diluted down. It's better to use a separate sunblock and you should use it every day that you leave the house.

I've heard that brands that sell in Australia have to go through more vigorous testing than elsewhere to be approved because the sun is so much more dangerous there, so when in doubt use an Aussie-approved brand.

Sunblock is the only thing scientifically proven to fight against ageing skin, so definitely not worth doing half-measures.

Great source of info here on skin cancer and sunscreen.

@eldorado82 Hmm, we might just have different skin types & climates.

I have combo skin and live in dry heat and do not find it drying. I wear it over a moisturizer with hyaluronic acid as the main ingredient.

As with everything, YMMV

@idontlikeobama Biore Aqua-rich PA++++ spf 50 is good. I hate sunscreen that smells like sunscreen and goes on heavy; this is a really night lightweight gel instead. I think it’s Japanese, I don’t see it in stores in Canada but can buy it from Amazon. Not very sweat-proof, but they do make a sport version that is better at sticking through a workout.

@shairozdewji Biore Aqua Rich Watery Essense is another name for this and I second it being a great face sunscreen! Bottle is so small that I use something else for my arms and hands, but I love this for my face.

@idontlikeobama I'm still on the hunt for the absolute one - the one that I love and will never stray from - but I like these and have bought them and used the to completion more than once: renee rouleau weightless protection spf 30 and Paula's choice essential glow moisturizer spf 30.

Next on my list to try is dermalogica oil free matte spf 30.

The hunt continues....

@burialchoice Watch your weight. Many people gain weight slowly but considerably as they age. There comes a threshold where you become unhealthy and let things slide, even your physical activity.

That aside, check out the updated guidelines by Health.gov on adult physical fitness. Ballparks are muscle- and bone-strengthening exercises at least twice a week, and at least 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity (light cardio) a week. Other aspects to keep in mind are flexibility and balance. Older people gradually lose their sense of balance as they no longer perform any of the athletics and shenanigans they used to do as kids.

@burialchoice The very very most important thing is developing a lifelong habit. The seniors in my old yoga class all stay very active - biking, walking, yoga, golf, weights. Doing anything consistently is the most important.

Flexibility and later balance is super important. Yoga is great for keeping your range of motion, balance and helping with joint pain. And working on posture will help you keep from developing little-old-lady hump. And it will also pair well with...

Strength training. Like you said about muscle loss, but also helps reduce bone loss as you get older. And it can also help with stability depending on what you're doing.

And the cardio that you have covered.

You don't have to go super hardcore with any of these. I'm in my early 40s, and run 3 days a week, so strength training 2x a week for 30 min, and yoga 3-4 times a week - currently just some videos off the internet, but I'll probably be going back to in-person classes soon. My mom in her 60's does strength training 2x a week for an hour, and does a lot of walking on the treadmill, and does archery/other target sports a few times a week.

@burialchoice Don't under or over eat, reduce stress, eat an abundance of plant foods for your gut microbiome, stay active, rest lots.... all the other things are just details!

@burialchoice
  • Eating well and staying within the realms of a healthy weight. Don't lose your mind over a few kilograms here and there (which is deeply unhealthy), but being within the spectrum of a healthy weight is a good idea
  • Maintain your mental health and know how and when to get help
  • Drink alcohol within the bounds of healthy amounts. Health wise, there really aren't any benefits to imbibing at all

@burialchoice
  • anything that keeps you flexible in the joints and muscles (in the mind, too!). the key is being consistent. look at the 80 year olds around you who look vital. they have full range of motion in their joints. they can move their head on a swivel and step firmly.
  • balance and prioperception exercizes of any sort that keep you interested/engaged - pilates and gyrotonics are great, ballet classes, clog dancing, syncronized lawn mowing if you can find it
  • eat light and eat the rainbow; don't put on weight as you age. seriously.
  • I agree with the other person who already mentioned sunscreen. just add this into your daily morning routine now. I added it at age 30 and wow it's noticably paying off now in my late 40s
  • do restorative stuff - naps, massage, icing, drink lots of water, stop the soda, whatever. you need your body to last
good luck!