YOU WHO CAN PLANCHE: What was you training plan?

@tripathiaish Yeah my form wasn't perfect, hips raised a bit. I think a lot of people don't realise the amount progressive overload helps you build strength. You also have to think of planche as having continuous progressions rather than tuck, advanced, straddle etc...

My method worked fine for me and with your height and weight you'll get it in no time.

@nyletak Second year of university started so didn't have the time and motivation to keep up with the training. I can still hold a decent straddle planche though.

@niki91 Again, not impossible but the amount of training you will have to put in to get it and maintain it will be ridiculous. Nothing is stopping you doing that though.

@craigeandrewhughes That's about what Lachlan weighed during stronger series 2. Have a look at his intensity of training and what he looks like. I'm not saying it's impossible, just you have to be extremely dedicated. I'm talking years worth of effort.

@praylove So I tried training for it several times, and there are a few things that really helped
  • tuck planche holds were useful at first, but longer holds (>20s) didn't help as much
  • tuck planche pushups were useful to develop strength I later needed, as well as the later progressions (single leg tuck, straddle, etc.)
  • pseudo-planche-push-ups were great, but make sure you focus on form and hand position more than anything else (especially reps)
  • lever holds with shoulders supported. The best way to do these is with the massive, hard foam pads at gymnastics clubs, where you position them a shoulders width apart and stand between them, rest your arms and shoulders (arms straight) on the pads and then do a lever hold. You can also do this on a set of P bars, and I've found that it's not horrendous to use two benches at my local weights gym, but that's dependent on the space and equipment available
I would work these maybe 4-5 times a week when I was really going for it. Nowadays I'll mix in my planche conditioning with everything else, as I'm looking to achieve other skills instead

@dawn16 But It just doesn't seem logical to me to hold one progression for a full 30 secs before moving on.

That's like saying 20 pullups = 1 muscle up.

It doesnt work that way. I can do >5 straight leg muscle ups, and maybe 12 perfect form dead hang pullups.

@praylove I think you're pointing at something valid here, but in my experience static holds are a different breed. I think they're saying that you got to develop a basic strength in each of the progressions to strengthen your weird little balancing muscles in increments before a full on planche is within reach.

But getting semantical, your 20 pullups=1 muscle up ain't really compatible. A muscle up is a explosive pullup+transition+straight bar push up. Being a pullup champ doesn't necessarily make your muscle up easy.

@praylove OP, have you filmed your 3-4s straddle front lever? I can hold 'full' front lever for 10s, but when I filmed myself, I was only holding a proper front lever for 2s, after which my elbows were not perfectly straight and my hips piked.

What I'm saying is that your anecdotal evidence of a lack of transference to lower intensity variants is unlikely, as most people do experience an increase in endurance.

Use a metronome app, count the seconds, and film yourself. It is very unlikely that your straddle front lever isn't bent in the elbow, or piked in the hips. If it is perfect, good for you, but I'm still certain that your experience is an outlier.