0.7g of protein per pound or less. Have you gained muscle?

@ramy6et I've stopped tracking calories and macros entirely. I make sure to eat plenty of legumes and add some powdered peanut butter to my oatmeal and smoothies but I don't obsess over it. I don't notice any difference from when I was tracking to make sure I got 0.7g/lb.

@ramy6et I too was worried last year getting under 100g protein at 216-185lbs but I certainly have gained muscle and even in a decent deficit. I do plan to up my protein when I get back to maintenance calories in hopes of more gains but nothing like what is usually pushed by the fitness scene.

@ramy6et I've seen pretty positive studies with 1.2 g per kilogram of bodyweight, really anything above 0.8 g/kg should still be able to give positive results. FYI 1.2 g/kg = 0.55 g/pound

@ramy6et I never weighed my food exactly or counted macros, but I am very confident in saying that I gained a lot of muscle with no more than 1.5g/kg of constant protein intake. I do think I tend to gain muscle easier than the average guy though.

@ramy6et I just go for 100 grams or more per day. If I get more or less I don’t stress it. I find that the more I worry and stress about my protein intake the less and less I stick with my food plan.

@ramy6et Love all the comments. I agree. I usually eat around 100g per day (this is considered low for me i'm around 230lbs and muscular). When I start eating more protein (150-170 grams) is when I go on a drastic cut. I usually gain muscle mass as well but i'm pretty sure it's because I work out harder on a cut. I take it out on the gym because i'm hungry and angry lol.

@ramy6et I've seen a lot of growth with just 90g (around .4g per pound of body weight) and I feel much better than when I was eating 150g a day. I started feeling so bad that there's probably nothing that could compel me to ever eat that much protein again.

@ramy6et 0.73g/lb is to maximize muscle growth as an omnivore. Can still grow muscle less than that at a slower rate. Not a large gap between 0.6-0.73 though.

However, vegan protein is wonky in its AA content, and ~10-15% less bioavailable. 1g/lb is probably enough to maximize muscle growth as a vegan especially if you consume vegan whey like me.

I wouldn't go underneath 0.7g/lb as a vegan if you want fast muscle growth rates though. If you're willing to eat 0.7g then definitely do that. But that's just my opinion.

@tripp1523 Vegan protein will only be wonky is you’re only having one source of plant protein and it's in low amounts. It's quite easy to reach all amino acid requirements this is a nice video that explains some things.

@ramy6et I weigh 235, so I'm supposed to eat like 170G of protein. I don't track my macros that carefully, but that's a lot of protein, and I hardly ever get there without multiple protein shakes.

I also hear that eating much more than 30g in a sitting won't do you any good, and that you should space protein out every three hours or so... So if I am awake for 16 hours and eat my 30g of protein religiously every 3 hours, then I would almost make it to my 170.

Using lean body mass does make it a bit more attainable... 160lbs would mean i'd only need 112g