How do you get 100+ grams of protein per day?

@jszy04 So 100 shouldn’t be too difficult, depending on how you eat.

Where I’m from in the uk, seeded bread is 5g protein per slice. For a big breakfast I have 4 slices. I’m allergic to peanuts but if you put peanut butter on those, you’re looking at an extra 4-5g on each slice. I would usually put a tin of baked beans on top, that’s an extra 20g. If you put it all together, thats 60g of protein in breakfast. If you make a quick scrambled tofu you can add another 20-30g bumping yourself up to 80-90g. Just in one (large) meal.

Make a list of all your protein heavy foods and find ways to combine and make stuff with them. Here there’s cans of mixed beans in vinegrette which are good enough to eat straight out the can - an easy 20g snack.

Follow some vegan lifters and you’ll have plenty of info. Good luck

@youngdavid UK here as well. Have you found any other bread with higher protein? Someone from Australia commented they have bread with 40g protein per 100g.

By the way aren't we absorbing only around 35g of protein per meal?

@jszy04 I like how everyone here is eating a shit load of fake meat, protein powders or protein enriched bread/pastas

That's not really financially viable for my poor ass. I go for cheaper sources like lentils, a small amount of nuts, regular soy milk (there are protein versions but they cost x2 more), seitan, and tofu. The other thing is unless you're competing you really don't need over 2/2.5gms protein per kilo of bodyweight. Your body can only absorb so much.

@luxaeterna Indeed it can be expensive. My favorite tofu is £5 for 200g but I'll have to get one which is £3.50 for 450g as I'll eat it everyday. And the protein powder is expensive too so can't rely on it too much.

@jszy04 Definitely very expensive for anyone on a budget. I often shop around for clearance foods, use food banks, Aldi is quite agreeable too.. But protein powders, protein bread, protein pasta, anything with 'protein' you're paying a premium just to get extra protein that your body realistically doesn't need unless you're competing.

@jszy04 I have oatmeal with 3 servings of PB fit powder every morning + pumpkin seeds and sunflower nuts. I usually have 2 servings of dry roasted edamames in a salad at lunch and I’m at 80 grams right there.

@mihailolt Bees are a major pollinator of Sunflowers, therefore, growing sunflowers goes hand in hand with installing and managing bee hives. Particularly in agricultural areas where sunflowers are crops. In fact, bee honey from these areas is commonly known as sunflower honey due to its sunflower taste.

@jszy04 Extra firm tofu from Trader Joe's has 14 g of protein per serving and five servings per container. Tofurky and Field Roast sausages have >20 g of protein each. Protein powder (pea, soy, etc.) usually has >20 g protein per serving.

There is a product called V-Whey that is a portion of whey protein. It's grown using microorganisms rather than cattle and their operation is vegan. It has >22 g per serving. (The fruit flavor contains a sugar substitute implicated to cause heart attacks and stokes (erythritol), so opt for vanilla or chocolate flavored).

I weight 220 lbs (6' tall) with about 20% body fat, so I aim for >180 grams of protein per day, which can be a challenge some days. I've been a vegan for >20 years.

@jszy04 It's impossible if you aren't crushing super processed protein powders. You probably don't need 100g. Recommended amount is 0.8g per kg of bodyweight. You can bump it up to 1.0-1.2g but your body will just pee out the rest of the excess or store it as fat.

There is a super bizarre fixation on protein in the world today, and basically zero hard scientific evidence that backs up the hype of a high protein diet.

@jszy04 You need a better protein powder.

Try Huel Black and mix it with plant milk that has extra protein. You can get 60g from a single serving that way.

Soylent Complete Protein also has 30g in only 11oz.

@jszy04 You can make seitan, seitan deli, seitan roast, seitan ' chicken '

You can also.make bread with seitan and lupin which has 14 grams of protein per slice. Hungry elephant has the recipe

@jszy04 I don't get why so many people are opposed to mock meats. There are ones with way better macros than Beyond or Impossible burgers. Morningstar and Field Roast sausage, Daring chicken, Boca burgers, Gardein, etc. Tofu, tempeh, soy curls, and seitán are great too, and I do enjoy cooking, but sometimes you don't want to do all the marinating and other prep while still getting tasty high protein meals in. Nothing wrong with that either.

@jszy04 I've put on 14kg of muscle the last 2 years without protein powders or even tracking macros. Nothing I eat is particularly protein dense. I maybe get 1g per kg of bodyweight per day. You don't need as much as you think. Watch any of Christopher Gardner's interviews.