2020 CrossFit Games Finals Event 9: Happy Star

@jonjones229 Has Brooke always been so hit or miss? Maybe I haven't been watching her so closely with bigger fields, but this year's made it incredibly evident that she's maybe the best raw physical specimen but has poor technique and adaptability.

@kmariah Shes never been "hit", shes been more hype. I dont mean that as a negative, I just mean shes good, and shes young, and shes always expected to do well.

She does do well. But it's not like she's ever been on the podium or even really been known for much aside from being strong and a solid gymnast.

I would say shes the next Sara Sigmundsdottir. Solid, strong, always in the mix. And her, haley, and kari are the top 3 us female athletes

Never been hit? I guess it depends on your definition. She’s made it to the Games every single year for the last 6 years, she’s never placed below 15th, her best placement before now was 6th, and she’s guaranteed to be at worst the 5th fittest woman on earth this year.

Shes never been hit as shes been hyped as a podium / leader pusher but hasn't made top 3.

Like I said shes done well, shes VERY GOOD.

Shes touted as someone who could win, but just now has finally hit top 5.

I dont mean it as a knock on her. Crossfit is so niche that the line between phenomenal, great, and amazing gym athlete is a REALLY fine one. I would never claim Brooke wells is not a tremendous athlete. But until this weekend she has only been expected to be a top competitor. Now she finally is.

Im simply saying this is her "hit" moment. I personally don't think she's been hit or miss, shes hitting and doing what she's been hyped to do.

@kmariah Hit or misses?

Other than the HS walk, they’ve all been misses.

Said it before but she had a 270 clean in 2016. I think it’s a Combination of no heart and bad coaching.

@jonjones229 You can tell they never really practiced descending during training. An often ignored aspect of fell/trail running. Someone could make a really good chunk of time if they could descend well.

@heatherssister Fraser and Haley have pretty good downhill running form, short strides and high cadence. But oh man, Brooke and Madeiros’s knees will not last if they continue to run downhill like they did.

Back