28m 6’5 200 lbs and I feel like I’m 40

zbehr

I’m in pretty good shape but the problem is I’m in pain often from not being very flexible. This sucks because my two favorite hobbies are golf and surfing which only cause more pain. Lately I wake up with pain in my ribs and hips. I’ve been going to the gym but it’s always crowded in my area and I don’t really want to spend 2-3 hours there to get all my workouts in. So does anyone have a good bang for your buck workout routine and split. I don’t mind going 5 days a week to the gym and I’d rather the workout be short and effective even if it’s all done on like a cable cross machine or something. Also any helpful stretching advice is welcome.

@zbehr I found that on really busy days, I can get all I need done by grabbing a plate or dumbbell(s) and maybe a bench. Then focus on what you’d typically do on machines. It may be helpful to look up excersizes specific to what you’re targeting. I found dumbbells especially help with balance, but it’s easy to get lop sided if you’re not paying attention.

Also focus on full range of motion. Make sure you’re stretching before any exercises, not doing so could hurt you in the long run.

@zbehr Foam rolling is one thing.

You can incorporate any mobility routine depending on which parts you have the most pain and discomfort with. I have some hip trouble right now so I’m doing hip rotation exercises before and after leg every week.

You could also try taking a break from the gym for a week or a deload week of sorts

@zbehr
  • are there specific ranges of motion that you would like to be able to access (eg static stretching) or that you would like to produce force in (eg load the muscles in a stretched or novel position imitating said range of motion).
  • do you have specific goals to improve your physique, strength and/or cardio

@zbehr The key is stretching and strengthening. I’m 36m and had some bad sciatica in lower back and leg. Started going to the gym and working on Jefferson curls and deadlifts and that fixed it after a few months. Then I got pain in my knee, started doing a lot of stretching and strengthening of hamstring and quads. Then I got bad elbow tendinitis. Strengthening forearms and more stretching in the hands and wrists are slowly fixing it. Needless to say it’s a grind and an on-going battle. I wish I could give you a quick fix but my only advice is research what hurts and then try to strengthen and stretch the muscles around it. Go to a PT if needed so they can get you on the right path and keep working on it.