5’0 and under … what’s your treadmill speed for walking?

@uticus Well I have one under a wall desk for work. I started on 2km/h because i needed to adapt to work/walk. Right now I can go to 5.5km/h if I'm thinking/meeting and max of 5.2km/h for anything else. More than 5.2 is impossible to write on the keyboard 😂

My sweet spot is 4.5/5.0, not too much not too slow. Enough to keep moving my ass but still able to write.

I got it to walk while working but I prefer walking outside. But, while working... Impossible.

@uticus i usually like to walk outside but i will walk the treadmill if the weather is bad and i need some steps. if i'm doing the treadmill, i will walk between 3.0-3.5 at a 3% incline until i get 10K steps. i wouldn't say this is an "exercise pace" where i'm sweating a lot. this is to merely to get some steps in for the day. if i want to surf my phone while i'm walking, i'll dip below 3.0.

when i was doing more cardio, i use to take this 45 min treadmill class that really challenges you with incline and pacing. we would do interval walking with speeds that range from 3.0-4.5 and inclines at 6.0-15.0%. the instructor always harped on proper form and pumping your arms. it was such a good workout and i really enjoyed it but i don't do that much cardio anymore.

i think any type of walking whether is going to be beneficial to you. you can definitely work up to a higher pace/incline if you want to challenge yourself. i would maybe do it for 1 min and then recover for a couple min. repeat for a couple more sets.

@uticus I thought it was just me!

2.3-2.5 for an easy walk just to get steps in. 3-3.3 for a fast walk. Anything above 3.5 and the impact starts hurting my hip.

@uticus I’m 5’3 and I always start at 3.8-4.0 at 3.0 incline as my warm up sweet spot. I also wear a SweetSweat belt to increase my sweating around my stomach and abs.

It really boils down to your comfortability level- some people with knee problems may not want to do a steeper incline and so on as it’s bad on the joints. And if you’re a beginner, always work your way up.

The most important thing is of course making sure you get your steps in. 10k-13k steps has been scientifically shown to improve NEAT and longevity,

@uticus 5’ here I walk on the treadmill at 3.8 and a 5 incline. But I am a runner and have been run/walking for 15 years. When i am outside my true pace if I am cruising is a 16mm. But 17mm is more comfortable.

@uticus 3.2 mph for regular waking. I've gotten faster as I've done strength training and become a somewhat efficient slow runner. My easy jog is 4.5mph and my cool down walk would be 2.8-3 mph.

** Editing to add I'm 5'0" with a 26.5" inseam

@uticus My treadmill heart rate hack (impatient adhd lazy girl tested and approved):
  1. Run just enough to get heart rate 165+ (can be a mile, a half even if it’s 4.7 mph)
  2. Once run is done and heart rate is there, set speed to 3mph at 8.0 incline, increase as you feel zesty
You will be rocking a heart rate in zone 2 with little effort. Next thing you know you’ve done a 5k watching love is blind on Netflix.
  • From, 4,11 28lbs and counting

Back