8-5 Desk Life

@marlow7 Definitely feel your pain. I tried to get a standing desk at my office, but didn't work. I work on the 4th floor, so I walk up and down the stairs once or twice a day just to get blood flowing. Also, like someone else mentioned, get up often to drink water and use the restroom.

@marlow7 Really recommend a standing desk, shoes that have a small heel/are comfortable, and a mat to stand on. Made a really big different in my mobility. Rather than spending time fixing problems from sitting I could now make gains because I was standing during the day/

@marlow7 Get up and wander around at least once an hour, also try to change how you sit in your desk so you're not stuck in one position.

Something I do that helps is walk everyday during my lunch break, I can usually finish my lunch in 10 minutes and get a 45 minute walk in.

@marlow7 Most companies are now progressive enough to offer a standing desk or get a convertible monitor and computer stand that can be raised or lowered to accomodate sitting and standing. Makes a world of difference.

@marlow7 change positions ALL the time too.

currently i'm completely low in my chair with my butt on the front edge. then i'll sit up tall, then i'll sit with my feet behind, (sports bike)

and lots of visits around the office.

@marlow7 You are essentially sedentary. Standing and stretching once in a while isn't going to fix that, not drastically at least, even if you do one hour of exercise every day. The only fix is to reverse what you're doing - stand for 9 hours and occasionally sit when you need to.

@marlow7 I know not possible for most but I started doing classes at a box near work at lunchtime. Sweaty as shit afterwards but exercise mid-day really, really helped me.

@marlow7 Super small, but whenever I have meetings outside of the office, I try and walk to and from if possible and I also take the stairs between floors as well as when I enter and exit for the day.

@marlow7 I work 10 hour shifts sitting at a desk al night long. I tend to use any downtime to stretch my wrists and shoulders. It's pretty easy for me to put my hands on my desk shoulder width apart, fully extend my arms and lean into it. I also have some cheap resistance bands to do band pull aparts and the like... and grip developers (great for grip strength and stress relief). People i work with are used to me doing this now so they don't look at me crazy anymore.

@marlow7 The best place to get in stretching/mobility at work is in a handicap bathroom stall. Those vertical bars are absolutely amazing for stretching out your shoulders. Grab it with one arm and just work out all the tight areas. Rotate your hips, kneel, turn away...do whatever it takes to open up those shoulders. Reverse your grip and do it again.

Of course, there is also room to do other things like holding a squat or Russian baby makers.

Obviously, don't be a jerk and take up the stall if someone clearly needs to use it. Keep an ear out. But in my experience, a 5-minute block of time is perfectly acceptable.