After the recent "ladies of X-height" posts..

@thehindubrahmin I know a range because I’ve been within the same ten pounds for years and my habits haven’t changed much. Our scale is broken (thanks to boyfriend not being careful) and I’m not in a big hurry to replace it.

@thehindubrahmin I don't own a scale and only get weighed at the doctors office. I have a ruff idea but luckily cause of weightlifting and focusing on how strong my body can get I don't care about the number anymore! Or if I get a little pudgy in my off season. For me it was eating disorder number fixation that made me stop using scales. SO AWESOME.

@thehindubrahmin Me! I had to do weigh ins for a regatta back in June but besides doctors appointments sprinkled in the years before I haven’t been keep track since I graduated undergrad. It’s been a lovely 6 years of not being tied to a number!

I’m currently working on my base line fitness and getting strength back into various parts of me after injuries. Unless I’m going for an Olympic team (Ha! As if!) I think I’ll just use my scale to weigh our luggage around the holidays :)

@thehindubrahmin I’m skinny fat, trying to do a recomp, and have a history of disordered eating. So I’m just going to off how I look in the mirror and feel because I’m sure if I gained weight from putting on muscle I’d be terrified it was from fat. I know I’m in a healthy range so the exact number really doesn’t matter.

@thehindubrahmin I don't care to know anymore. I was obsessed with my weight and that would get me depressed many times. After having my child, I could not get below 112lb no matter what, and i exercise almost daily. I am 5'2".
So, as long as i stay active and conscious about my diet, i refuse to know my weight.

@thehindubrahmin *raises hand!!

After struggling with binge eating disorder or anorexia/OSFED for more than half of my life, I stopped seeing the logic in weighing myself or learning my weight as it only gave me OCD style melt downs. For some people it may be a helpful measurement, but I’ve found much better markers of my health, and ones that I don’t allow to give me anxiety or find myself obsessing over.

I never felt fat but my OCD traits thrive off numbers. So now, as I’ve been vegan for a long time, protein is the only number I even occasionally track (just to make sure im on track when I’m lifting a lot). Otherwise it’s a recipe for disaster, and it helps me to focus on the right things in my diet/exercise routine!

@thehindubrahmin I guess I'm in the minority?

I weigh myself every morning so I can accurately fill out the TDEE spreadsheet. I fluctuate in a five pound range, and I'm heavier than that around my period.

I don't sweat it. I like to know what I weigh. And, on days where I "feel" "fat", I appreciate the confirmation that how I feel or what I see in the mirror doesn't correlate to weight gain. I'm not magically 15 pounds heavier on a Tuesday when I'm feeling down. And I'm not suddenly a "boat" because I feel like I look like one in the mirror.

I appreciate the steady, factual nature of the scale. It brings my emotional self peace.

....is that weird?

@potots1 I get that- I’m a data person too! It was a healthy thing for me, until anxiety became attached to it. It just went downhill for me from there.

I think it’s not about the number or food etc., but instead what we attach to it, if that makes sense? Like if somebody uses it as a means of gauging their emotional state, allows it to effect how they feel about themselves or their progress etc., that’s problematic - but it’s still the attachment to the numbers that you have and not the number themselves.

I think it’s easy (in our society) to find yourself in a mindset like that- but not everybody who weighs themselves necessarily have a self deprecating mindset!!

Makes complete sense to me. :)

@thehindubrahmin I don't own a scale, but sometimes when I'm at my parents i'll weight just for a ballpark. I find this healthy because I'll already know how I feel about my progress, and then I can know: hey, when i'm at my version of 'peak' fitness, i weigh about X pounds. When i've been off track a bit, I weight about X pounds.

I don't weigh myself for the same reason I don't calorie count: I had an eating disorder in high school, and an addictive personality. I don't want to put myself in a dangerous place.

@thehindubrahmin I have a scale that is currently tucked away in my bathroom. Unfortunately, in the last few years, I started to get obsessive about that pesky number on the scale and realized it wasn't healthy mentally for me to weigh myself every day. I'm 5'5" and my lightest in recent years is 108 while my heaviest is 120. I would say, based on how my clothes currently fit, that I am around 115 right now, but I really don't want to check.

@thehindubrahmin 4ft 11 and no idea of my weight. It isn't something I can know and be mentally healthy after growing up with a mom who lived off diet coke and vodka and a grandma who was...well she ate her feelings until she was around 300lbs.

My husband goes with me to the dr and usually talks to me so I don't look/hear. And he lets me know of any drastic changes in case it seems my meds might need adjustment.

@thehindubrahmin I commented in the ladies of x height post and I don't weigh myself either. But that doesn't mean I don't have an idea of what I weigh. Throughout years of being different weights and being at various levels of athleticism I have come to understand how my body holds weight. The only time I weigh myself is when I go to the doctor.

@thehindubrahmin I have an idea of what I weigh as I do step on the scale occasionally.

Generally, I avoid it, though. If the number is higher than i want it will just ruin my day and if its lower it gives me a perverse sense of joy. Where I think it should be is decent satisfaction followed by needing to do enough to keep it there or "better."

I dont think those reactions are healthy. So I avoid it.

In any case, weight is just one thing you can measure health on. It is also so variable depending on the time of day, scale, etc.

So I save myself some stress and only step on the scale at the doctors or once in a while.

@thehindubrahmin I don't weigh myself much anymore as I've been continuously fluctuating in the same 5-7 lb range for the last couple of years. At first I started to panic when my weight went up...but I realized I was gaining muscle and seeing more definition in my body. I figured if I weigh myself too much I'll psych myself out and stop pursuing my fitness goals for fear of seeing a bigger number on the scale...so I just stopped weighing myself. I don't have number based goals, my only goal is to continue to lose more fat and see more definition in my midsection, which I know will come from staying consistent with my workouts and eating a healthy/lean diet, so I just try to focus on that.

@thehindubrahmin I've been weighing myself religiously for the past 6 weeks every day so I could properly fill in the TDEE tracker to get a sense of how many cals I need to see weight loss, weight maintenance, etc. as well as what I burn on days I literally do NOTHING. I'm having skin removal surgery on 9/27 and my surgeon told me I couldn't weigh myself for 6 weeks because all the swelling shows up on the scale and it tends to freak people out. So I wanted to do this first so I know how much I should be eating especially as I will not be able to exercise for that time period either.

I'm looking forward to having freedom from the scale but at the same time I'm terrified...all the times I've gained weight in my life it's because I didn't weigh myself and then suddenly one day I did and I had shot up like 10 lbs.

@thehindubrahmin I don't know my weight and I don't feel like I need to know. I've never felt any pressure to weigh differently. I definitely don't have a perfect body but I don't think a number will help me with my goals.