Busy Dad, tired of feeling like shit. Asking for advice

@tomaszpl The sort of chronic exhaustion and weight gain that you describe are side effects of hypothyroidism (along with many other diseases), which I've heard is under diagnosed in men

It'd probably be a good idea to go to your doctor for a full workup to eliminate any possible medical issues

@tomaszpl Not much advice but I wanted to offer solidarity. Having a hectic (but sedentary) work schedule, along with a toddler that still doesn’t not sleep through the night, doest leave much room for exercise. Pre-kid, I competed in fitness competitions and was pretty fit. To echo others, find ways to move your body through the day. You’ll feel much better. Also nutrition is everything. Back in my bodybuilding days, I knew people who got injuries and couldn’t train but pretty much kept their physique through diet. It’s no fun but it can be done. Take what I say with a grain of salt though, I’m sitting here eating pizza now. Lol
But to be honest, you can make progress and feel better with simple changes! Just be consistent. Positive changes consistently beat a drastic lifestyle overhaul you can’t maintain any day!

@tomaszpl This is my recommendation:
1. Cave out a 7’ x 6” space in your garage or house.
  1. Buy a 5 band 150# of tension, resistance band set fro Amazon. It’ll cost you less than $15.
  2. Get one pair of 25–35 lb pair of dumbbells second hand.
Do resistance training with the resistance bands 3x per week. Chest-biceps Monday, back- triceps Wednesday, shoulders legs Friday. Use the dumbbells for the leg exercises. It should only take you 30 mins.

Do body weight cardio on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday for 20 minutes. If you need videos, I’ll send you some.

Take Sunday off. This is basically what I did until my kids were grown.

@tomaszpl Think you're on the right track already. Just keep doing stuff like the jumping jacks and keep scaling as you progress. I'm 33 5'7 and my weight has been between 145 and 210 the last 10 years but I have kept it off the last 5 just being consistent with trying to do something even if some pushups or pullups at home. I gained a lot when I worked from home mostly and just sat there. Try to make a game out of it to challenge yourself so it's not boring just try to knock some sets out here and there.

Intermittent fasting definitely helps, e.g. only eating between 12-7 pm everyday was easiest for me. I was hungry in the morning but forcing myself to drink more water helped with that. Saved money and usually ate terribly for breakfast anyways. Energy level actually increased a lot when IF. When I was at my heaviest just doing anything physical was discouraging because how tired I always was. But keep at it and I promise you'll see results. I used to have the mindset if I can't run 3 miles why run at all. Then I pivoted to just doing whatever I can at whatever pace and it changed everything.

Also, like the others mentioned get a sleep study done. The amount of time you are sleeping and the quality of sleep you are getting are two completely different tiredness from not getting enough oxygen while sleeping. My snoring actually decreased when I lost about 30 pounds so I started being able to sleep well without it. Working out helps you sleep better also.

Sorry for the lengthy response and godspeed on being healthier!

TLDR: used to be fat , had sleep apnea and no energy. Try IF (Intermittent fasting) and focus on consistently doing what you can.

@tomaszpl I see there is already a lot of comments so I’ll keep mine quick. I can partially relate as a 34yo dad of 2 kids.

I found all the changes I’ve made that worked well start small, they just require consistency. Motivation can get you started but discipline will make the change. It takes time, but a simple 10 minutes of pushups or stretching daily can turn into more as you add more on after a few weeks. The same can be applied to a daily reading schedule or daily prayer.
Short gains over time, I didn’t understand this concept in my 30s and that led me to be overweight multiple times.

@tomaszpl Hey I can save you! Get a kettlebell and look up communities and videos on swings and get-ups. I did this an am now the same weight as you but I started at 225 after my daughter was born. I also almost died from meningitis when she was 3 months and knew that I would need some serious change if I was gonna be a new Stay at Home dad. I’m much stronger and healthier and keeping up with a toddler is simple for me at this point. My daughter and wife struggle to keep up with me! Best shape of my life and my mental health is also on the rise due to feeling physically great.

@tomaszpl I’m right they with you, just a couple of years older. My two children are 11.5 months apart and the same age as yours.

For me it’s gotten a lot better than this first six month of each child. The second child made things a lot Crazier. I definitely feel like I have ptsd from both children. I think the biggest issue for me is having some time to unwind and reset from the structure of the day. But I digress.

Your best bet is calories. 3500 calorie deficit is one pound of weight loss. I did this last year because I didn’t have time to work out either.

I used my Apple Watch to track my calories burned and the app lose it to track my calorie intake. You can use other apps and devices for the same results. I cut my calorie intake 500 calories lower than my caloric intake to lose one pound a week. This was great for four months and then it got difficult because my calorie intake was low but I lost 35 pounds.

If you do this remember to set reasonable goals. The biggest thing is changing to healthier eating habits and not being too hard on yourself is you mess up.

@tomaszpl Check out the YouTube channel by The Body Coach. Loads of free work outs from 15 mins to 30 mins. Mostly body weight. That will get you going, they’re awesome.

Also consider 16:8 fasting. Again, brilliant for energy. If you have trouble sleeping, develop a night time routine. Hot shower, meditation, reading etc. Good luck.

@tomaszpl I think it’s awesome you want to make positive changes for yourself.
In regards to always feeling tired you need to get better quality sleep. Just as you would t expect your kids to go right to bed as soon as they hop into bed, you have to treat yourself the same way and try to create a bedtime routine for yourself. Dimming or turning off the lights and lighting candles can help get you ready for bed. Also, limiting screen time and snacking before bed will help too.
As far as training goes you can check things like OfferUp, Let Go, FB Marketplace and others for discounted gym equipment like a barbell, dumbbells, kettle bells or even a sled would be great. If not, yoga, mobility drills or calisthenics would be a great place to start. You can do these between calls, a set number ever other hour or something of the sort. If you’re able to take a walk while you’re on a call that would be great.
Key would be to start small and slowly build upon that. Ask yourself what can you commit to for the rest of your life, is it just one 20 minute walk a day? 5 push ups before bed or first thing in the morning?
Being aware you need to make a change and asking for guidance is the first step. As a dad of 2 young girls I understand the struggles you are/may go through, with persistence and intention you will make awesome changes. Sounds like you have a lot of support here, you got this!

@tomaszpl If I were you I would get a couple of adjustable dumbbells. You would be surprised the number of variety exercises you can do with only these. Then look up some YouTubers like athleanX for example and look for videos on exercises done with dumbbells.
I have two kids and I know how little sleep you can get. However, I rather sleep 6 hours and exercise one hour than sleep 7 hours and zero exercise. For me, waking up super early at 4 am is the golden opportunity to sneak in an hour of exercise daily. First it will suck but then once you get used to it your body will need it just as much it would need nicotine if you were a smoker. Good luck

@tomaszpl It sounds like your fatigue started before your dietary changes, but if it got worse after you cut out booze/snacks/etc. you might be running a too large calorie deficit, and that can cause fatigue. Try tracking what you eat for a couple days and make sure you’re eating enough. Food is energy after all.

@tomaszpl 62 year old dude here and game changer for me was two things: 1) started jumping rope and 2) did a vegan challenge for one month which has now morphed into 3 months.

The reason for jumping rope is I can do it anytime and if I’m traveling, i can take my ropes on the road w me. No excuses for me now not going to the gym and now need to change into shorts, etc. $10 or a bit more if you want weighted ropes coupled w some free apps from crossrope and others out there.

The vegan thing I did after watching the Netflix special on The Game Changers and I went from the guy who always made fun of vegans to now feeling amazing and lost 15 pounds the first month I started w the diet.

Just a couple suggestions but really important that you keep the body moving even w a busy job, wife and kids.

Good luck!

@tomaszpl You situation hit close to home to me, although my kids are a little older. Find what works for you, and adjust as-needed. Activities, for twin 10 year olds and an 11 year old, take an incredible amount of time. Since winter is ending and sports are ramping up, and take any opportunity I can to drive them to whatever their doing and then go for a run nearby. Good on you for being such a good father and role model!

@tomaszpl Jump rope! I jump 30 min with Crossrope jump ropes and it’s quite the workout. But you should start with a cheap jump rope to see if you like it. They have an app so you don’t have to make up your own work outs.

@tomaszpl Try fitnessblender.com and/or darebee.com. Check them out and start with just 15 mins per day for 3 days per weel. Do this for a month and see how it goes.

I really recommend darebee.com. They even have meal plans for free. I just love that site.

@tomaszpl I’m 33, 6’1”, 200 lbs and exercise almost everyday. Stay at home dad, work part-time/as much as I can when I have jobs that start stacking up. I know what it’s like to not have time to go to a gym. I work out at home. I’d be happy to let you know my routine. Its a cardio/strength combo that takes at most 45 min per workout. PM me if you aren’t finding advice you find fruitful. Best of luck.

@tomaszpl Four years ago I was in the best shape of my life.

My kid is turning four next month.

Sorry. I don't have any answers, other than things you probably know. Work out at home, do anything. I don't know HOW to actually make that happen though.

Back