Can I get enough protein of mainly protein powders?

oliver23

I’m a 17 year old who’s 6,4 and weighs 9 stone (or 126 pounds) and I’m skinny asf. I wanna get stronger so I don’t keep getting called lanky and weak but to get fit I need a high protein diet and I’m an extremely fussy eater. Whenever I try and find a good meal for growth in muscles they always say that some stuff is necessary and I just straight up can’t eat them. Then I realised protein powder exists and I kinda hope if I just use enough of that I can get at least a lil bit muscular compared to what I am now. So can I get stronger just off protein powder? Yea I realise now I’m typing this it’s almost definitely gonna be a no and I’m probably gonna look stupid but yea it’s worth a shot ain’t it?

@oliver23
I’m an extremely fussy eater.

As a former fussy eater, my recommendation is not to be. Once I started eating like an adult, nutrition became so much easier to stay on top of, and found myself relying less on supplements to meet my nutritional targets.

@oliver23 Short answer: yes you can, protein is protein.

But there are plenty of things you can eat that might be more fun or cheaper than protein powder. Beans, all type of meat, quinoa and more

@dch Protein is not at all just protein. Lots of different ways they are composed which will either lead to it being a quality protein or one your body can’t make much use of.
That’s why you want to make sure to get some quality protein intake, which is why binging on fast food won’t get you the proteins that your body actually needs.
Sure, protein is better than none but don’t assume that it doesn’t matter what type of protein you assume.
It won’t take much effort to get some scientific explanations and examples which I probably couldn’t give you without missing something important.

@dch https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Human_genome_by_functions.svg

No, there are tons of different types.

You wouldn't say fat is fat would you? Different fats are treated different in various parts of metabolism and function optimally in specific ratios to one another, same with protein. Why do you think there are essential and non essential amino acids? Because they are different from one another.

You can say generally that protein is protein, sure, but optimally there are ratios that can be important long term to consider

@ladel OP wasn't asking about amino acids. But I recommended quinoa anyways, which contains all the essential amino acids. So maybe I do know not all protein sources are the same 😲. This is a sub for beginners. They don't care about amino acids, they just want easy solutions to their problems. Usually when given something more complicated to do they just go "No, I can't do that because..."

Also saying "protein is protein" is a meme