Is 100g protein enough to gain muscle compared to a higher amount?

@mpholyghostgirl It is person to person. Last year (for 7months) i train only with normal food. And i cant get any weight up or even strenght goes only by 5% up… than start with gainer and protein (only high quality) and after 3months my strenght goes up 10-20%, gaining around 14kg (4-5kg of muscles). It is pretty hard to eat around 200g per day.

@chadwilbe It isn’t always protein based but which I had learned from a family member who is a nutritionist for the Cleveland clinic. In many cases it can be carb or just outright calorie related.

If you aren’t getting your macros in outside of protein your body will lean on the protein as energy.

So when I did the protein jump I put on a significant amount of fat on and I was what you would call a “hard gainer”. Start with the basics and add or subtract macros from there

@mpholyghostgirl Yeap, this is problem for me.
With my 4x gym, 2x climb and 1x some fun in mountains i have around 4000cal per day, crazy to just eat that much. I would need second job, and some allround gainers bring 1000cal for me :)

@alberto_candelaria Examine also has an "optimal protection intake guide" that goes along with it and explains all the numbers and ranges and research in depth if you're interested in the why behind the numbers

@droval the last two questions/sections to fill in are literally your activity level (active/inactive) and goals (cutting, maintenance or bulking). you don't really need to get more specific than that when you're talking protein intake. if you're talking calories then yeah, the type and amount of activity and the size of any caloric deficit or surplus matters a whole lot more

@saultopaul I know this thread is heavily saturated, and people gave very similar numbers:

I tell my clients .8g/lb if they're trying to recomp and build muscle. OR if you actually have a scale to measure lean body mass, then 1g/lb for lean body mass.

For clients who want to lose a lot of weight (especially women), I say .8 to 1g/lb of your goal weight.

@saultopaul If we're talking about muscle gain using bodyweight trainings then first thing i'm gonna point out to is soldiers in army, for example, boot camp. These guys extort themselves physically a lot and usually without the recommended rest time. They eat decent food without consuming any supplements or additional protein. Rice and chicken sauce etc. Those guys over the training still become very buff and physically strong. I also know a guy who is a fucking mountain from pull up / outdoors training and he doesn't use any supplement whatsoever.

Just don't starve yourself, eat when your body tells you to, include meats each day and you will be perfectly fine, just exercise regularly and gains will come in no time!

@saultopaul there are too many numbers out there that are too high... have a day where you just eat alot of protein but keep it normal and use this as reference.

some numbers out there are for people on steroids... they need more protein.

@saultopaul Sounds like too much to me. The studies I've seen done are more in the range of 1.6g of protein per KG of body weight (90g~ of protein). There are downsides to so much of your calories coming from protein, depends on what the macro distribution looks like. Not enough fats can be hard on hormones, and not enough fiber can result in digestive issues.

@saultopaul .8g per pound of body weight is good! That puts you at 100g protein at 125lb. But also to gain weight, you have to eat more calories than you burn

@saultopaul It will vary from person to person but 100g is a good point to start but remember you also need calories to build muscle, if you are in a caloric deficit you won’t grow even with 300g there are a lot “rules of thumb” and they are all pretty similar so you can use them as a base but the best advice I can give is to pay attention to yourself to see what works and what doesn’t

Back