Daughter 7 and son 9 can dead hang comfortably for 3 and a half minutes

@rando I think it's about body weight distribution and proportion. Look at little kids' head in relation to their bodies. They're like walking candy apples.

@rando Light people have an advantage.
I watched a series on Netflix with 100 athletes from different sports. The lightest, not necessarily the strongest were the winners.
I remember as a kid I could monkey bar with ease, it became 100X harder as an adult.

@rando It's also why on average women can dead hang longer than most men. They generally have less grip strength but the much lower bodyweight helps more than the increased strength.

@rando Kids are trained af. Imagine how much climbing and bodyweight excercices they do all day. Imagine you would do the same they do all day, you'd be strong af too.

@rando We've had kids at our ninja gym hit 40+ minutes dead hangs. Their weight is so light though that it's not a good comparison to adults. Plus then those same kids have troubles doing over 10 pull ups, so it's mostly just a body weight thing.

Those hang challenges are on spinning bars too which greatly affects how long one can hang.

@rando That’s really good. I’m 48 and have been hanging a few times a day for a couple months. I’m just at 100 seconds now, and it’s really tough. My 10 yr old got to 2 mins in his first try. They just have less weight to support. But 3 mins is really good regardless of age/size etc

@rando The difference is that the bars for those challenges are not regular monkey bars - instead they’re thicker and can rotate freely which makes hanging on them much harder. Any reasonably fit adult could likely hang for 100 seconds on a regular pull-up bar. When the bar spins, you’re forced to use your forearm muscles much more which is much harder.

That being said kids are usually much lighter and have an easier time climbing things than adults.

@rando I can easily hang for this long too and I'm age 30 and overweight. If you have remained active throughout your life (including doing hanging exercises like pull ups) those challenges are the easiest $100 ever. The thing is, most people haven't done that.