from 8 pull ups to 20 and also from 10 dips to 35 in 6 weeks

pittsburgh14

hi i'm 16 years old 5'4 55kg (121 lbs)

I did the 5RM pull ups program and i did the same with dips

if you don't know what is it : https://www.strongfirst.com/the-fighter-pullup-program-revisited/

I started the 14th april 2019 i could barely do 8 pull ups and 10 dips so I started the program and I worked on it 6 times a week .

I'm also doing push ups every 3 days I can actually do 35 clean push ups in a row

(i'm doing the 100 push in a row program https://hundredpushups.com/test.html I started on week 3 level 3)

I started the program at 5-4-3-2-1. Today I reached the sets 11-10-9-8-7 of the program for pull ups so i decided to try the maximum that i could do and i was able to do 20 pull ups and for the dips I started the program at 10-9-8-7-6 and today i was on the set 15-15-14-13-12 so i tried my max and i did 35 dips.

If you make a planning it makes it really easy.

Sorry if sometimes you don't understand it's hard for me to explain everything in english it might looks like a troll post but it's not.

@pittsburgh14 Yes great -but are you doing them from dead hang to chin over the bar-? Would be good if you posted a vid to verify. But even 20 partial rep pull ups is good regardless !

@jessica719 He said he was following the video he posted. The video shows strict pull up form. Your comment just seems like you’re trying to take away from his progress tbh.

@graff5501 Ok, but that’s why I asked if there was vid of him actually doing the pull ups - it’s normal/usual to post a form vid - then we can see the progress, then we can see if it actually works as opposed to guessing - and that’s what the guidelines recommend. Otherwise he’s just posting links to YouTube vids. I can’t “take away” anything from his progress if we can’t actually see it.

That’s why I started my comment with “great job” - but it would be great if we could see how great it actually is....

But anyway, thanks for not abusing me for asking a simple relevant question....

@kimmidoll123 Ok omgots - the guidelines and rule set say all posts should provoke discussion and progress and posts should be over 3 months and have before-after imagery - this post has none of that - I was just nicely asking for a vid of OP - there is none. And to top it off - you are rude.

Can you even do a pull up?

@kimmidoll123 No need to be rude - There’s two links - neither is him, is it?!? One is fighter Pull up program and the other is 100 push up test. Which link is him doing pull up reps?

@pittsburgh14 I've been doing "Greasing the Groove" on my pull ups and dips for about a week. Seems to me these "fighter programs" are largely inspired by the general philosophy of greasing the groove. My max reps on both of those two exercises without any assistance and with what I consider to be "good" form were about 0.5 and 0.25 respectively. But I bought some resistance bands (one heavy, one medium, and two light) and tested my max with the heavy (initially 2 pullups and 3 dips) and have been doing my greasing at 50% of that. After doing this for a few days, I took a break for a couple days to rub out an annoying shoulder glitch, and have been back at it for 4 days straight. I've already seen my capacity go up, so it does seem to work. I'm just using rating of perceived exertion (RPE) as a guide and upping my reps per session by +1 whenever it seems prudent. Presently doing four reps on both exercises every hour to 90 minutes for a total of about 10 sets per day. Figure that, when my reps are up to 8 with the heavy band, I'll take a day or so off, test my actual max on the medium band and if I'm at around 4 or 5, graduate to the medium band for a week or so, then repeat.

ADDIT: the one part of it that is pretty annoying is that, you really need to do at least some warmup before each session so that is an extra 5 to 15 minutes on top of the 5 minutes or so to do the actual greasing. Obviously the need to have the pullup and dip bars readily available throughout the day and the freedom to do this every hour or so is also a big constraint.

@roccy Essentially throughout the day you preform the same exercise in order to make your body accustomed to the movement, position, etc.

For example, many people use greasing the groove for hand stands. Each hour or so during the day, they practice doing the handstand for a short period of time. This provides a neurological advantage and often speeds up the process of being able to complete certain movements/actions.

I assume the term greasing the groove comes from the idea that greasing things makes it easier to move; much like you'd grease the wheels of a skateboard, you "grease" the joints/muscles of your body to make movements easier.

@eviemarie I remember seeing the creator (Pavel Tsatsouline) say that the term "greasing the groove" refers to the ostensible mechanism by which the routine facilitates rapid performance increases: changes to voluntary neurons, making them faster, more concerted, and effective at engaging muscles simultaneously and powerfully. There must also be some changes that take place with the connective tissues, vascular tissues and muscles, but the primary mechanism is apparently thought to be "greasing" of neural facilitation.

When I first heard of it it sounded crazy to work an exercise multiple days in a row without rest, but once I heard of the long rest times between sets it made more sense. They key of course being: don't push too hard.

@roccy

The important points: 1. Pick one or at most two exercises and if two, only ones which do not substantiall overlap in the main muscle groups involved. Squats and pull-ups would be ideal. Pull-ups and dips is not ideal but still okay I think. Bench press and pushups would be just about the worst.
2. Know your max reps (or if using weight, 1RM). Do sets of reps/resistance that are 50% or less of the max.
3. Allow adequate rest between sets: 30 to 90 minutes seems sensible, depending on one's personal recovery potential. Basically one wants to feel fresh and rested before another set.
4. Strive for very high quality form on every rep.
5. Do 5 to 10 sets; some folks seem to get good results with considerably higher numbers of sets per day.
6. Let your body/mind be your guide most importantly: if something starts to feel like "bad pain" stop. Give it a rest, maybe even call it a day and resume GTG the next day.
7. Give yourself rest days from GTG that are adequate for your needs. I'm finding that at 10 sets of my 50% max reps on pull-ups and dips I need a rest day after four days GTG. Someone else might be fine for 6 days in a row.
8. Really this should have been point #1--> REMOVE THE exercise you are doing GTG with from your regular weekly exercise routine. So for example my version of Recommended Routine when I go to the gym on Tuesday will be: Squats+Push / Row+Hinge/ Core Triplet/ Shoulder Endurance (4 or 5 lo weight hi rep dumbbell movements). When I stop doing pull-ups and dips GTG I will go back to: Squats+Pulls / Dips+Hinge / Push+Row / Core triplet / Shoulder Endurance . . .

@philadelphiastory
Seems to me these "fighter programs" are largely inspired by the general philosophy of greasing the groove.

I believe Pavel Tsatsouline both coined the term "grease the groove" and developed the Russian Fighter Pullup Program. The big difference is that the fighter pullup program can be done in one session, as long as you recover fully between sets.