I fing hate protein shakes. How do I eat enough gains?

@prettyxdee What has helped me instead was more specific practical advice- include tofu/seitan/tempeh/protein powder (or similar) with every meal. Make sure your meal has at least 20 grams of protein. Setian is especially helpful as the calories are low per gram of protein.

@newbee3 Yes, absolutely. Protein is often overstated as a factor. Of course you need some, but the amounts are overstated. Unless your goal is top level elite full-time bodybuilder, then as long as you have progressive overload, volume, good training, good sleep, etc. these are far more important factors.

As always, it depends what are your goals? If you're looking to gain muscle, then decent training and a calorie surplus with decent protein will do that. Where are you starting from? Are you generally athletic and past newbie gains and still doing progressive overload but stagnated in muscle gains? In which case a bit more protein may be necessary.

So even for specific bodybuilders, 1.6g per kg of bodyweight, that's 96g of protein as a target. Some would say that's a minimum, but that's if you're trying to really optimise muscle growth, for serious bodybuilders, not just more casual goals of building some muscle. Being below that will still mean gains, as long as everything else (the more important factors of progressive overload, sleep, etc.) is OK.

So yeah, 60-96g of protein is very doable from food. Throw some seeds and nuts into oatmeal and other dishes. Check out lentil pasta (or other high protein pasta) and other high protein breads and staples. These kind of 'sneakily' add a good 20-30g of protein.

Lastly check out edamame and TVP. Very high protein content. The first is often expensive, but depends where you are. The second is essentially super soy (in terms of protein) with most of the oil removed. It's often 50%+ protein. In 100g, you'd have 50g+ of protein, 330 calories, and some other nutrients. So that's essentially a super protein shake.

And if you don't like protein shakes, make other shakes. A bunch of fruit, and add in nuts and seeds and nut butters, etc. I don't typically like protein shakes by themselves. But if I use soy milk and add in lots of fruit, then it tastes better too.

Good luck!

@lucia398 Thanks for the details answer! I do feel like its massively overstated, I'm just kind of normal active (running & climbing), getting back to progressive overload and trying to loose a little body fat. I'm definitely not going to worry about getting near 100g a day as there just not attainable for me or necessary.

I forgot about lentil pasta so thanks for that reminder. I do eat tvp - need to stick that in meals more regularly

@newbee3 Hmm - I’m in Australia and use this one atm

I tried to link another option but for some reason it got removed. You may have to search your local online suppliers for similar. I generally only purchase on sale, otherwise it can get pricey.

@newbee3 Try the 'my vegan' website or app they have loads of clear proteins I think they are between 11 and 14 grams of protein per scoop. If you can wait for the promos they come round all the time I'd wait until they are at least 35% off.

@newbee3 I don't like shakes either. You can certainly get enough protein just by eating a variety of plant-based foods/protein sources.

I have just started adding protein powder to my diet and do so by:

- mixing it into pancake batter (oat flower, protein powder, baking soda and water)

- mixing it into my Skyr / Yoghurt

I have heard of someone mixing some protein powder into their milk (of choice) that they then froth before adding it to coffee. Apparently tastes really good if you choose a protein powder flavor that works.

@newbee3 A meta-analysis in 2019 or so showed that about 0.7g/lb bodyweight is where your muscle gains start to flatten out.

That means that the ideal point is likely at 0.7g/lb bodyweight, but you'll also gain muscle at less than that.

Keeping that in mind some of my protein sources also include chickpeas, peas, lentil pasta, and lentils. Not snacks but still. Good sources IMO.

@janeencynthia Exact words from the Dairy-sponsored study comment op posted,

"Protein supplementation beyond total protein intakes of 1.62 g/kg/day resulted in no further RET-induced gains in FFM"

@louy51 Thanks for providing the study! Increasing protein intake further still might lead to better results considering the lower bio-availability of plant-based proteins. Not sure if any included paper looked explicitly at this scenario though