I hate lifting

servantj

I hate lifting, i hate bodyweight exercises, but i love cardio… especially bicycle, is it a chance for me?

I would love to put on muscle and look toned and fit, but cause im cycling and runnig so much im just a slender without muscle….

I dont know how to feel about that, lifting weights is the only escape or am i being delusional and i cannot be saved??

@servantj I hate lifting too. I also hate having a job and going to work but I do it because I have to. Focus on your goals and work on making the things you need to do to achieve them important to you. If working out is a non-negotiable part of your day like your other responsibilities then eventually you won't even think about it, it'll just be another thing you do.

@doug9694 Yes im being delusional ❤️

Thank you! Need to hear som rough truth

I guess having muscle is not that important for me then… unless i try a see how its feel like to have one hahaha

@servantj Problem is that lifting feels like work, but you're not getting paid to do it. Get a side gig as a mover or manual laborer otherwise and watch how fast the muscles come. Note that you might need insurance depending on the job. Took me only four days of carrying heavy cases of tile around to notice arm and shoulder gains.

@servantj This is a great reply. Sometimes we see other people have things and go "Why can't I have that?", without considering the determination and discipline they had to go through to achieve it.

You can get toned, but you have to do the work.

@doug9694 If you hate what you do, change your job. If you hate lifting, find a different sport! What is this masochist stance? Don’t waste your life pushing through hatred on a daily basis

@godsgurl1956 I lift to have a great body, not because I enjoy the act of lifting itself. Achieving goals means long-term sacrifice and repeated instances of hard work. That's why most people waste all their time pursuing temporary pleasures and having fun without ever achieving things that require a tremendous amount of self-discipline and labour. That's fine if that's your thing, but if your thing is having an impressive physique that can only be built through resistance training, bullshitting yourself will get you nowhere. I hate working out but I love the results more than I love sitting on the couch binge watching The Office for the 5th time, which is what I'd rather be doing practically every single time I work out. Such is life.

@doug9694 Arguably we mean different things when we say we hate something. Mark Manson wrote that you know something is your thing when you actually love the adversity that comes with it. If you truly love being a musician, it’s your natural inclination, you will get a deep sense of satisfaction from long bus tours, bringing you gear with you, taking to promoters, etc. He hated the guts of all of that and only loved performing, so he realized it was not actually his thing. He loved the - relative - fame and admiration but hated everything around it, so he quit. Now, you sound like someone who actually derives a sense of satisfaction and appreciation from working out. It’s not just the goal, but also everything around it that is exciting, even if hard. For me, for example, the lifting bit is so incredibly dull that I might as well watch the paint dry. So much so that no amount of physical gains can force me to do it, the negatives absolutely outweigh the attractiveness of the goal. On the other hand, when I boulder or box or practice something like capoeira I struggle just as much, if not more, but I f-g love that pain and those hardships. And as I result I also get an athletic physique, not necessarily as bulky as if I were lifting, but it’s effortless, a byproduct really, to something I like. So, I think telling people to suck it up and just do it is bad advice. They won’t be able to follow it anyway if, like me, they really don’t like this type of psychical activity. What is worse, it can prevent them from seeking another sport that will make them tick and give them the best shape of their life seemingly effortlessly (through physical pain and hardships, but instead of the mental struggle they will have a mental drive)

@servantj Your legs could get jacked from cycling. I can't think of any cardio that would do the same to your upper body tho. Maybe something like bouldering if you like it to be more functional. CrossFit could also be an option, here you still do exercises that you hate but it is almost always a cardio workout at the same time. Just don't expect to get huge.

@servantj I want you to go and research "Simple and Sinister".

It's the highest impact weight training in the lowest amount of time. Only 2 exercises and they hit the whole body. Great for people who hate lifting. You can do it in a small space with only one kettlebell. It will get you very close to that body with the cardio you do.

Back