I hate working out

@sriram Ironically, your conception of fairness isn’t actually very fair. Reality is not going to bend itself to anyone’s will, and wishing to be an exception rather than learning to work more harmoniously with the way of things is a form of cruelty to oneself.

Sounds like there is a lot of internalized toxicity that needs resolving. And perhaps you are surrounded by toxic people who reinforce your notions that thin-ness (even if it means you are weak) is the key to happiness or being valued.

All that work and effort you put into being at war with yourself— no wonder you are exhausted and lacking in any feelings of achievement. Try some therapy and learning to work more harmoniously with your mind, body and the natural order of things. Make friends with yourself, not enemies.

@sriram Sorry to hear that!! are you in a place where you can walk regularly? I had surgery about 1.5 years ago and could only walk for 3 months- I was toned as hell and kept up my walking practice & only do a few days of weights a week. I went on several backpacking trips this year and crushed it. Walking is like a secret for some reason, if you have time to do it enough, it builds endurance, makes you happier and lowers cortisol so overall you may be more likely to lose weight. Put on your favorite podcast or playlist and go for it!

@sriram The first workout is the HARDEST it is only easier from here on out!!! For me it took about 2 months of weekly workouts before I started really craving and wanting to go to classes (once you feel the changes in your body you are hooked!)

@sriram Hugs. Hugs. Hugs.

What you’re doing is hard-every day it’s hard. Choosing to respect ourselves is HARD.

Choosing to show up when you don’t want to, in every area of life, IS FUCKING hard.

I hate working out honestly. I’ve been lifting for 31 years, and over the past two years I too have come to hate it. I used to LALALALALOVE IT, and now it’s meh….

So I do what I “have to”.

30-45m, that’s it.

If you can get yourself to the gym, once you’re there, you probably will be successful, so just get to the gym. Make that step, give yourself a timer of 15 or 20 minutes and do some thing. If you don’t like it, cool, you did that much and go home.

Sending love and light.

@sriram First day is hard and it gets easy. Get some good music and try to zone out. I play a bingo play when I walk on the treadmill. Anything to pass the time

@sriram I’ve learned that you can compare yourself to others. I love to eat but I just can’t eat as much as taller people or my husband! I’ve been trying to lose weight for a year so I feel this. Also screw those people who are saying rude things to you! They shouldn’t be commenting on your body anyway!! One thing I want to say is that if you are binging you might just not be eating enough during the day. You might be able to add 100-200 calories and split it evenly throughout the day and you could limit the binging at night. Just a thought!

Exercise is hard! Especially getting back to it. I would find something you enjoy. I like Orangetheory and running but I also do weights because I know it’s good for your joints! But I tried just adding strength training before because that’s what everyone says to do for fat loss - I was overweight but strong. Now adding cardio because I enjoy it and it will help with the weight loss. If you can I would try to see a RD who can give you the right amount of calories to eat. I did this and helped with the stress of figuring out how many calories and if it was working or not!

@sriram If it helps, during freshman year of college, I went from 120-104. 2 years ago I was at my heaviest at 140, and I decided I need to do something about it. I’m also 4’10. What gave me motivation was the fact that I was able to drop weight before. It may be worth seeing why your previous experience doesn’t give you confidence that you can do it :)

@sriram Yeah I feel this. I'm not like miserable about it, but OMG the fact that I have to live the rest of my life on an app to track calories is so annoying. I have a choice, be fat and not like how I look, or be thinner and make the annoying app part of my every day. I wish I had a skinny person's appetite!

@sriram Stop the comparison game, to others and to other versions of yourself. That’s easier said than done, I know. A daily affirmation of what you love about your body and something good you did for it, will help, if therapy isn’t an option for you.

Besides that, just find what you love. I used to hate the gym so I worked out at home with videos. Hate running? Try biking or rollerblading. (These bring me back to my childhood, personally) Dance. Try yoga or Pilates. Kickbox, with or without a bag and gloves. If you like walking, try hiking! Try short interval runs, even. There are many, many ways to move your body that aren’t boring or hard or soul sucking and awful. There aren’t rules. Hell, I did a whole workout today and didn’t break a sweat—even that doesn’t have to be a requirement!

I lied, there is one rule: do it for health, not physical appearance or a number on a scale. Do it to feel better not LOOK better. That’s secondary.

@sriram I got prescribed Ozempic. I’m tired of pretending that hard exercise and forcing myself to count calories and be miserable was going to get me anywhere.

@sriram Have you talked to your doctor about medications that might help you control your appetite? As a short woman, you'd have to restrict calories more than the average person to lose weight, so naturally that leaves you hungry! Weight loss will always feel like a battle if you're starving all the time, and no one can be expected to live like that.

I don't think you should try to do what you did before. It made you miserable and you didn't even get the results you wanted. This time around, you need to do things differently. It's not fair to expect yourself to have superhuman willpower. Ask your doctor about medications that might help; depending on your weight and health history, you might be eligible for certain medicines that can help with appetite/weight management. Also get tested for insulin resistance and hypothyroidism to make sure there are no underlying health problems.

@sriram If you feel your appetite is out of control, you may be eating things that are keeping you hungry. If I eat a lot of junk food I'm hungrier because my body is craving nutrients. If I'm volume eating with lots of veggies and lean protein and slow carbs, I'm full and the cravings cease. If you feel that this isn't "fair," like you'd be "forced to eat rabbit food just to be normal," I understand as I have felt this way too. But eating healthy food isn't a punishment for being fat. It's a loving thing to do for your body.

@sriram I just came back last month after being off for 8 weeks. I hate how the body retains nothing when it comes to retaining soreness endurance and you got to sloooowly ramp back up, especially with age. 💀

I feel like the best starting point, tabling calories, tracking, metrics, performance. What movements do you like to do? What things are actually fun? The only way to not constantly punish yourself is starting from finding activities that don't make exercise feel like a punishment.

I have sensory issues and can say that exercise is way more enjoyable when I'm not forcing myself to be in a crowded gym with loud-ass music.