"If you can't hold a plank for 120 seconds, you're either a) too fat; b) too weak; or c) doing something wrong in your workouts." How true is this?

@zondaar39 I mean, they kinda set a trap there, didn't they? The statement cannot be proven false, because those are the 3 variables of a plank. If you cant do it, no shit you are lacking in one of them. I can't do a 120sec plank, no shit losing weight/gaining strength would help.

That's like saying "if you're not strong enough, you're either not strong enough, or not strong enough for the weight"

@ajam This is literally the answer. Those three things can be applied to every body weight exercise ever. Can’t do 10 pull-ups? You’re either not strong enough, too heavy, or aren’t training for pull-ups. Wow, no way!

@zondaar39 You could chalk this up to mental strength as well. The more used to a movement you are (other than being stronger in that movement which is a no brainer) would be confidence in yourself to execute it to a higher level.

Being all around a gritty human being will get you there too but maybe I’m just talking out of my ass.

Just my two cents.

@dawn16 Especially for a static endurance exercise. If I hit my limit on, say, pull ups, it doesn't hurt much, I just can't get out of the hole. With planking, it starts hurting long before I just collapse, and usually I stop because I'm giving in to the pain.

@zondaar39 Dean Somerset would tell you a 2min plank, even a 20sec plank is useless because when it comes to core, you want maximum contraction/engagement instead of fatiguing, breaking form, and compensating elsewhere.

@zondaar39 I can see a few other reasons:
You don't have arms,
You just did not train certain muscles as much as others,
You are tired after running a marathon/taking care of kids/had some good wild sex,
Someone kept kicking you in the ribs while you tried to do the exercise,
You just ate a whole plate of delicious spaghetti and you feel like taking a nap

@zondaar39 It just depends on whether or not you're training core and plank, specifically.

Last year I held a plank for 8 minutes and 20 seconds, and I haven't trained it since. If I were to try it now I'd probably get to two minutes, but not more than that.

While those 3 are valid reasons for not being able to hold a plank, they're certainly not the only ones

@zondaar39 I'm a bit confused here, so I may not be expressing myself very well. I want to get a good handle on the difference between specific fitness and general fitness.

On the one hand, I mainly do bwf "because I need a strong core to be a fast, injury-free runner".

On the other folk on this thread are saying "don't worry if you can't do 2 minute planks, as it only reflects the amount of specific plank training that you do".

So, to take that idea to its logical conclusion, I should only do running training if I want to be a good runner and forget all the abs, glutes, hips, etc. stuff that I do. I'm sure that's not right, but I don't have a good feeling to decide where to draw the line. Help!

@dunak You should mix a bit of both.

Accessory work is great for any sport practice but the defining aspect of how good of a runner you are will be your running work.

What people are saying is that focusing on plank time just for the sake of plank time isn’t “general core strength”.

@dunak Idk why people are acting if a 2 minute plank is something crazy that needs to be practiced. Fact: strength is not as movement specific as half these people claim to be. If you have any real bodyweight strength, a 2 minute plank is a joke. Strength is strength, it is not all movement specific. If you have a good core from front lever guess what? A 2 minute plank will be a joke to you.

I love how when people can’t do something here they just say “oh It’s a skill!” Then carry on