Is there a trusted "Has-it-all-vitamin" for Men?

mturling

I'm on week 4 of getting back into my old workout regime after months of tomfoolery. I have noticed that my recovery time is not like it was. Diet and sleep can be somewhat sporadic fora couple days at most (work scehdule effects this) so I'm thinking of supplementing.
Have landed on Creatine Monohydrate, BCAAs for what my diet may lack, and would like a daily vitamin of some sorts. Curious if there is one that includes the suggested, d, k, magnesium, zinc, and ashwagandha in one. Thank you

tldr: Looking for a vitamin that includes the suggested ( magnesium, zinc, d, k,) all-in-one.

@mturling Honestly, it’s best to only take vitamins you have deficiencies of.

Vitamin D, you probably do, just like statistically likely. Aside from that, you don’t really need to do anything generally.

@mturling Despite what some say, you CAN overdose on D. So just be careful, more D isn’t always good! It’s best to stick with a good sized dose of D. That way. It’s unlikely you will overdo it. Best of luck with all the D!

@jmannramirez I tested below range for vitamin D many years ago. Started taking 10,000 iu daily in addition to whatever is in my daily multivitamin. Last check about 2 years ago, I was at 102% of normal range for vitamin D.

@mturling Not going to really answer your main question here, so sorry, but

I strongly suggest you add one thing at a time and see how you react to it for a couple of weeks before adding the next thing. Without a doubt, start with creatine. Would also start right away with D3, those two won't conflict and are extremely well studied.

Agree that potassium, magnesium and zinc are certainly things to make sure you're getting enough of. I just throw a banana in my protein shake now though.

@sharkbait13 I'm a firm believer that a good diet is the best remedy but I do lack that sometimes from crazy work schedule/ on the road.
Edited for a key detail. I follow a vegetarian diet.

@mturling I’m also a vegetarian and use the Kirkland multivitamin. It has relatively conservative quantities of all essential micronutrients vegetarians might need.

@mturling Hi-I’m a pharmacist by training (I teach in a school of pharmacy now). I generally don’t recommend multivitamins for people who eat a balanced diet. I do use some supplements, however, that focus primarily on cardiovascular and metabolic support along with sleep and recovery. For me, these are fish oil (1600 mg per day), co-q10, magnesium glycinate, ashwagandha (the sensoril extract), L-theanine, and melatonin every now and then.

But supplements are really only worth thinking about once you get the rest of your house in order.

@ksina Looking at the general search for fish oil, why is it good? The article I read from Cleveland clinic says the studies aren't conclusive and it may be worse for you? I know all the eqology bros at my gym are eating fish oil by the ton. I eat a fair bit of tinned fish (sardines, makreel) so I'll probably skip it but always on the hunt for something helpful.

@veronique This is a great question. There is some evidence that DHA and EPA both reduce Alzheimer’s risk and assist with lipid metabolism. In fact, vasepa, the FDA approved triglyceride lowering agent, is just very pure EPA. I’m on my phone now but can provide links to papers once I get to a computer.

I will say that you likely more than cover your bases by eating a tin of sardines a few times a week. I just can’t get into them :(

@wayne_84 I use Carlson’s fish oil. I’m brand agnostic on the magnesium and ashwagandha. Whatever you buy, you want to make sure that they say Magtein and Sensoril, respectively. Both are proprietary preparations. The l-theanine and CoQ10, I’m also brand agnostic. I use 200 mg of l-theanine at bedtime and 100 mg of CoQ10 in the morning.