Just joined a CF gym and I’m confused

@nicolenik This is the thing everyone outside misunderstands about CF; it's not about training specific muscles to create a hypertrophic response, but rather about training functional movements and the different energy systems. Training like an athlete rather than a bodybuilder. Working movements from core to extremity to build endurance or strength, rather than isolating muscles to cause hypertrophy. Also, traditional CF doesn't follow a weekly "split" i.e. Monday=Chest and Tris, Tuesday=Back and Bi's, etc. Everyday should be full body, just with some body parts getting hit a bit harder on some days than others.

Butterfly pull ups are a great example--they aren't necessarily going to build your biceps and lats like a strict pull up (they might incidentally just because of total volume), but that's not the point. The point is to cycle quickly and rip off bigger sets so you can keep your heart rate up and meet the stimulus of the workout.

Go ahead and add accessories after class if you want to keep trying to build muscle, just be careful not to overdo it.

@nicolenik I always added isolation exercises in my personal time for muscle development. Especially bench press and bicep exercises. Calves will get worked out on the regular with all the jumping and arms do to.

Depends on your goals tbh.

@nicolenik Many of the exercises from the WODs you posted work those muscle groups you called out (search for "[insert exercise here] muscles activated" for each of them and you'll find out). CF is a full-body workout rather than isolating different areas, as others have already commented. With more time (6-8 weeks), you'll notice progress in these areas if you stick with it. It looks like your box has pretty standard programming. If you want additional targeted work, I'd suggest either going to open gym and doing some of the targeted exercises you're familiar with on your own, or attending an OLY class.

@lealyn Yeah. I don't get OP here. They say "the workouts didn't include anything for chest or arms" and then the first strength portion listed is Bench + Row??

The workouts also look like a good interesting mix to me.

I am aware of my bias here - I've never done bodybuilding type strength training outside of supplemental accessories and generally consider it a useless modality.

@nicolenik So there’s been a narrative shift at most CF boxes, away from the exercise component to the community component. I believe this is because the CF wod one-and-done style hourlong workout (eeeeck I’m going to get downvoted into oblivion) doesn’t… really… work**

hear me out!!!

** doesn’t work on its own. I realized early on that the really fit crossfitters aren’t just showing up for class (mostly). They’re doing a ton of extra work on top.

Before you crucify me, think about it. The volume on these workouts is moderate to high, with almost zero isolation. Average maybe 15-20 minutes of work. So not only is it untargeted, but it’s not even that much work. It induces EPOC, but I think even that is overrated beyond the very casually athletic person. A lot of good CFers do an additional 3x30 zone 2 weekly. Plus sup work, sometimes a strength program on the side, etc. I confirmed my theory by canvasing the people at my box who look really good and they were all doing two sessions per day including the wod.

So my hot take is that CrossFit is fun and a good background conditioning program, but most people who want to look good do a bunch of extra stuff. So I tell people, do it because it’s fun, because you like it, you like the people.

@nicolenik CF doesn’t have a lot of quality control - in that every gym you go to will follow different programming. Some gyms just do metcons, some do strength and conditioning, some add other stuff in as well. My gym does bodybuilding accessory work every Friday with a metcon.

You’ll work calves when you run and do box jumps, you’ll work arms when you pull up and row. Chest is traditionally under-represented in CF but that’s not such a big deal. Maybe look around town and see if other CF gyms have programming that you fee hits all areas. Or ask your coaches about the macrocycle

@nicolenik You need to get supplemental work outside of the gym. I powerlifting 2-4 times a week on top of CrossFit. CrossFit WILL get you stronger at certain types of movements, especially pulling movements, but you eventually always plateau

@dawn16 At 49, 3 days of CrossFit + 3-4 days of powerlifting a week May not leave enough time for recovery. But YMMV.

But if OP is looking for isolation work, would powerlifting be the right answer? I’ve never focused on that type of workout, but my impression was that it would be mostly Squats, DL, and Bench, but not much isolation work - especially around arms and calves. Let me know if I’m wrong, always interested in learning more.

@nicolenik This was a major issue for me when I switched to CrossFit. There are definitely areas of the body that CrossFit focuses on less than typical bodybuilding type lifting. I was seeing a lot less muscle progression so had to add additional lifts before/after class. I have since switched to Functional Body Building programming which I like a lot more than just CrossFit as it mixes bodybuilding lifts with CrossFit style workouts

@nicolenik Yes you shoulf supplement CF with weight lifting.

Unlike what most people think crossfit is a sport and not a type of training. If you want to be good at it, it should be treated as such.

A cf class is physical activity, but if you are not a novice ypu will have to supplement with developmental work if you want to improve hyperthrophy etc.

Back