Just joined a CF gym and I’m confused

@fivetonsofflax No its not its a sport. The definition of training is specific movements done with a specific end goal. Crossfit is by its own definition the opposite if that. You might call its working out or fitness. But its not training unless you are training for the sport of Crossfit.

@jcreigns CrossFit ideologically isn’t training for CrossFit, it’s training for life. It’s a fitness regimen to make you healthier and stronger. Military/Firefighters/Cops don’t do CrossFit to be better CrossFitters. They do it to be better firemen/cops/soldiers. Take the L1 and learn a thing or two.

@fivetonsofflax No they do it because they know nothing about how physical adaptions work or because they think its fun. Crossfit is inhrrently bad at causing physical adaptions due to how the said principle works. There is a reason why all top Crossfit athletes come from other sports.

@jcreigns It is fun, But I don’t think you really understand what CrossFit is. CrossFit is for everyday tasks, learning how to move your body correctly and functionally. Crossfit is to get generally fitter.
Games athletes as I said in a previous comment don’t do CrossFit. They train to be better at CrossFit.

@fivetonsofflax I train in Scandinavias largest box so I do think i know what crossfit is. Both practically and its formal definition.

Moving your body correctly isnt really a thing is also harmfull language. There is only moving your body efficiently.

Since all adaptions are task specific you must define functional for what to call something functional.

In general crossfit isnt an efficient way of obtaining fitness adaptions. Its popularity is mainly due to it social aspect.

@fivetonsofflax Or maybe I actually understand how strength and conditioning works.

You apperantly arent able to understand what im telling you.

There is no correct way of moving. Only efficient ways and ive yet to meet a crossfit "coach" who are actually able to teach basic movement patterns such as the squat, deadlift and the olympic lifts in such a way.

I also dont need to take some shitty course to understand what crossfit is about. I am able to read.

@jcreigns What do you mean there’s no correct way of moving? Moving correctly creates efficiency. The correct way to lift something off the ground isn’t to immediately pull you butt up in the air and pull the object off the ground with your low back. In fact it’s very incorrect and can cause injury. Incorrectness creates inefficiencies and injuries. You’re acting like you know shit but you don’t know shit cause you think CrossFit is a sport. The CrossFit Games is the sport. 65 year old women are in the middle podunk BFE aren’t training for the games, their trying to get fit and be able to get off the ground if they fall and pick up their grandkids. If you can fuckin read then go read the journals they’re FREE on the CrossFit website.

@nicolenik Your calves are worked on the box jumps, on the single leg movements, on the step ups, etc. Similar with the other muscle groups you listed, they have all been worked by the workouts listed here.

@nicolenik Crossfit is more about movements and less about muscle isolation. Looking at your programming you are using all of the muscle groups you are mentioning. Generally in Crossfit if you want to work on a specific muscle group or skill they offer open gym.

@nicolenik It really depends what kind of program your box has implemented and you can ask that in the intro upfront. I personally look at boxes to program or adapt programming to their communities. The gym I help run has a FBB strength bias so while we don’t do a lot of ISO we do a lot of accessories and strength that comes from traditional bodybuilding — although typically not calves.

Back