Mark Rippetoe's chin-up protocol for fixing Golfers Elbow

@sannya You mention a slow eccentric. If you compare this approach to the one by /@deborah123 in Overcoming Tendonitis, it seems it's really the slow eccentric curl portion that's doing the trick here. Just to point you to another resource.

@socalbeach Yes. I developed a very simple protocol based on these ideas and it's worked very well for me. Your mileage may vary.

Golfer's elbow: Do 3-5 slow, eccentric chinups. Avoid the concentric part by using a box. Lower yourself as slowly as you can, 10-20s per rep.

Tennis elbow: Do 3-5 slow, eccentric dips. Avoid the concentric part by using a box. Lower yourself as slowly a you can 10-20s per rep.

The nice thing about both of these exercises is that it's easy to throw them in prophylactically at the end of each workout. They take only a few minutes and require minimal equipment.

@deborah123 This is the resource I point people to. The book is on my wishlist this christmas, the least I can do is flip you some $$ after I managed to finally do away with 3 years worth of elbow pain!

@sannya I am really confused. The one time I had golfers elbow, I cut chin-ups from my training and it was gone in a few weeks. Mark is really legit, but I am having doubts here.

@aliaconnors On the other hand, one of the best ways to prevent tendonitis is to strengthem the tendons using high volume low intensity work. But I'd rather pick an exercise of which the RM is like >30 and work with 3 sets of 15-30 instead.

@aliaconnors I don't really change anything in my routine, maybe lighten whatever load I'm lifting that puts stress on the joint hurting, but I always finish with high rep band work in different angles. The lightest bands I have in sets of 50.

@rotsenibad Mark is not a physical therapist. He also has some... Interesting opinions that run counter to established science and don't have much to back them up beyond his own rhetoric. Powerlifting, sure. I wouldn't bet on his advice for much else.

@rotsenibad
Mark is really legit,

With regards to injuries I don't think this a valid statement. They guy has had tons of injuries himself and no doubt tons of people who have followed his routines suffer from injuries all the time. He's a gains guy not sports science guy.

@sannya I haven't tried straight bar chin-ups since, but I don't any problems with pullups on rings anymore. I am 100% certain that I can do chin-ups pain-free now, but I cannot say anything about what would happen after a couple of weeks if I included them in my routine.

Back