Mark Rippetoe's chin-up protocol for fixing Golfers Elbow

@sannya I couldn't bench for months because my elbows felt like they were going to explode. Couldn't sleep out of pain. Tried this protocol and went on with my life in 2 weeks. Benching five times a week and no pain since.

Mark is an oddball, but hey. When he's right, he's right.

@sannya He's not old school. He just has this interesting ability to put down a list of very reasonable assumptions and thus derive completely ridiculous conclusions out of them.

@bibbigo Tendinopathy is generally just relative overload. So if you just dial back the volume it can theoretically work in some amount of cases.

The problem being that most people don't know how much volume and intensity is too much which is why it's usually best to stick with isolation exercises at first and then work back into compounds.

@bibbigo Yup, thank to eshlow, I did the same thing: Isolation exercises which allowed me to directly control resistance. It made it super easy to judge that I was increasing resistance without causing aggravation.

I find this thread a little bit tricky because they are recommending doing compound exercises (chin-ups) as a way to fight tendinosis. Sure, it should work, but it also feels risky because the resistance is so much harder to judge and adjust. Plus, it's bodyweight, so the only thing you can adjust is reps, not resistance.

@rj786 Agreed. Everyone needs to find something that works for them. In my case, two times, I followed Steven's recommended protocols for prehab and I was happy!

I think the original article and info the OP provided could help some people, and could also be misleading and not a cure-all.

/@deborah123

@bibbigo Can you possibly provide what you mean by this, either in a video or an article? I want to fix my elbow pain but want to be as smart as possible with my recovery.

@jay5034 Steven has written extensively a lot this topic on his website, subr /r/overcominggravity and in his most recent book, Overcoming Tendonitis. Worth the time to do some reading.

@sannya Thank you so much for posting this OP.

When Mark said it wont heal through resting and you have to train through and fix the mechanical problem/cause, it gave me hope and I felt a surge of emotion go through me lol, cliche or cheesey as that sounds.

Back in 2014 when I first had a problem with my wrists, I trained through the pain obsessively and it went away. Now I know that there's hope to fix this pain and it's given me otivation to fight against it.

Thanks again OP.

@sannya I have had sore elbows / upper forearms for about 6 months and it is so frustrating. I’m running 5/3/1 weight lifting programme rather than a body weight routine, but I can’t do curls at all and lifting / gripping in certain positions really hurts. Will give this a go.

@sannya Thanks, I'll give this a try. I'm greatful to have had few injuries, but when I do get them, training the muscle rather than testing it has been the best path to healing.

Back