Really confused about my nutrition. Please help

jonnylugs

Okay, so I am a 30+ guy, 165cm and 63kg at the moment. I have been doing Crossfit for close to 4 years now and did close to 4 years of basic bodybuilding in the gym before that. I am a vegetarian (Milk and sparsely eggs.)

I keep reading and taking advice from coaches and friends about nutrition in order to improve and have tried many things, but somehow, my body seems to work way differently from others. I somehow am not able to improve my lifts no matter what.
In order to improve my lifts, I started eating a high calorific diet, I got to about 65-66kg, but just got fat. Very little muscle improvement.
When I tried to reduce my fat content by reducing my calorific intake, got skinny again.
Strength improvements have been very small.

My current diet is as follows:

08:00
30 g of whey with 300 ml milk
200mg caffeine
2 Kiwis
150 g of muesli with 300ml milk. (almonds, cashew nuts, walnuts, pistachios, peanuts, dates, figs, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds and sesame seeds added to it.)
250 g yogurt
30 g peanut butter

10:30
100mg caffeine

12:00
1 mozzarella sandwich
300ml soup (varies)
250 g yogurt

16:30
100g nuts
250 g yogurt
100mg caffeine

18:00
Couple of dates
200mg caffeine

19:00
Crossfit

20:15
30g of whey in water
1 Apple

21:30
100g rice/pasta
200g carrots
50g tomatoes
50g broccoli

23:00
30g casein in water

When I tried to reduce fat, I would cut rice at night.
When I tried to increase intake I would add 5g creatine, Banana and 2 pancakes in the morning and 2 bananas, 2 apples during the day and 5g creatine after the wod.

I normally do Crossfit 4/week. I used to do 5/week, but thought maybe overtraining was causing me to not improve, so reduced it to 4.
Not that I have not made any other improvements. I have made ton of improvements in my gymnastic movements. (Couldn't do a single pull up, now can crank about 20 deadhang, can do butterfly pull ups and even bar muscle ups. 7unbroken is my pr atm.)
But, in terms of lifts, the increase has been almost 0. Cleans have gone from 75kg to 80kg, snatch from 52.5kg to 55kg, deadlift from 120kg to 130kg and back squat has remained at 120kg. The case seemed to be similar when I was body building.

Hoping to get some constructive advice on my diet. Cheers!

@jonnylugs You’re skinny. You tried eating more. You gained 3kg (which is barely anything), decided you were too fat, and quit bulking.

You’ve gotta stick to the diet and probably do some extra lifting to make sure you’re gaining muscle.

r/gainit

@sk8bdr018 I gained 3kg but there was no improvements whatsoever in my strength hence the term 'got fat'.

Extra lifting I will try, but I only about got 1 hour in the evening and I do the wod in that time.

Any thing I need to change/add/remove in my diet if I want to improve my lifts?

@jonnylugs Not an expert in any way shape or form, but from listening to the guys in my gym as they went through various stages (increase strength, or reduce fat, or increase cardio) the theme seemed to be more protein for muscle mass, less carbs for fat reduction. The guys who did low carb high fat to reduce body fat saw a noted dip in their strength, and a definite loss of body fat.

@smasma I'm not a expert in anyway too. But one of my coaches is a big fan of keto/paleo and at the same time he complains how he isn't stronger. He pushes keto/paleo just to be popular. I almost despise him for that to be honest.
You gotta listen to your body, for me at the moment their is no need to follow a specific diet. I don't lose or gain fat fast, I just need to eat 3x+ a day and try to think this: "would my grandmother considered this food.". I try to go to the Moroccan grocery instead of the supermarket so I come home with fresh products and as little junk as possible.