Transformation after 30

catd

Bad Apricot shared the Stronger By Science article yesterday and I wanted to expand a conversation about women’s muscle growth as we age. I wasn’t ever able to easily muscle gain mass as a lifelong athlete until my thirties.

With no other evidence than my own experience, I always suspected my body’s hormones during teens and twenties were perfect for preserving energy and leaning towards storing fat to be used for pregnancy and breastfeeding while leaning away from growing muscle which is metabolically expensive to own.

Sometime around 30, I felt like something shifted and I could eat a lot, lift hard and see significant changes in my physique over the years. We all know muscles don’t pop up overnight, it took me years, but it was definitely a shift in gears compared to my young adult years.

I’m 41 now and feeling very strong these days though it takes me longer to warm up for a run and I will never ever do plyometrics or side lunges again for the sake of my knees.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

ETA to add a link

@catd I'm mid 30s now and stronger/ faster than ever. I don't think its hormones though.

I contribute it to having been through a bunch of "seasons" of sports now. Gymnastics for 17 years when I was young, then about 5-6 years of marathons/ run focus, last 10 years has been focused on powerlifting but also "Army stuff" like rucking and running.

Also, since age 30 I really ramped up trying to eat more. Its been slow going but I think finally I eat a 'normal' amount for how much I workout and holy hell my lifts and endurance are exponentially increasing.

I do have a lot of nagging injuries but learned to work around them and cross train.

@jim04 Thanks! It’s evolved of course but right now, for the past 6 months, I’m building strength with Stronglifts 5X5. I add chin-ups for my elbow, it had been very sore but chin-ups help. Lifting three times a week. Running 1-2 times and walking for cardio most days.

The best program I ever followed was The New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW). It was really life changing. The after photo was a few years back and I was probably either doing a round of NROLFW or stronglifts; they’re my favorite.

@catd 45 and same. I’m in better shape now, with more muscle def than I ever had before. Consistency is key. And a really good diet based on lots of lean protein.

@catd Tbh I’ve seen the opposite. When I was in my 20s I could put on muscle quickly, and I had a very low body fat percentage - now matter how I ate or treated my self I always had a flat stomach and was very muscular. But once I hit my 30s my body completely changed and now my body holds onto fat much more and I have a harder time growing muscle for sure.

BUT - huge caveat here - I also started birth control for the first time at 30. I think the big change came with birth control because of the hormones. I have a feeling that once I remove my IUD I will probably drop 5 pounds immediately

@catd I'm almost 47.

My most in-shape, lean, strong self was at age 38-42 because I wanted to get into shape by 40.

Some life events plus later the COVID years resulted me in losing the fitness and discipline that I had built up.
I've recently started the journey again and have no doubt that I can attain my previous level of strength and fitness. Yes, I do have to be a bit more careful with injury prevention and taking it slow.
And I have to be better about maintaining or continuing around life events and setbacks. But I have no doubt that I can get back to where I was at 40 or even further.

@faithfuliris Blasted pandemic. You sound motivated and I bet you’ll have success. I feel like the age we are at now, it is easy to let life events take away our health. Aging parents (and even aging partners), young adult kids, high responsibility jobs, leadership position in community groups…takes a lot of clever planning to prioritize our own health.

@catd I'm 39 and have a similar experience. Minus the kids. I'm child free.

I was pretty toned at 29/30. Then I got lost in work and a bad relationship. And packed on the weight. I was able to achieve a similar physique as your after pic in the last year. I did it by hiring a personal trainer. Working out 4- 6 a week and eating clean.

For me, I think what helped me develop muscle faster was muscle memory of those previous years.

@emilia5533 Yes!

I wanted to chime in with a similar experience. Pandemic left me sedentary, but before that, I was quite fit. Getting back into shape has been a breeze, but I know it’s because of my previous muscle.

Building muscle cells, but then losing muscle mass leaves a “blueprint” that’s somewhat easy to rebuild. (and just for clarification, “muscle memory” is something different: “the ability to reproduce a particular movement without conscious thought, acquired as a result of frequent repetition of that movement.”)

Unfortunately, it works similarly for fat. Being overweight encourages the body to produce more fat cells to store it all. Losing the weight doesn’t get rid of the excess fat cells. It can take years before the body naturally breaks them down. It’s easy for them to fill back up. That’s why people who diet and lose a bunch of weight can gain it all back so quickly.

@destls Thanks! I was 29 on the left and 36 on the right. It’s a long and very deliberate process, for me. I laugh at the “8 week shape up!” Or “30 day bikini challenge!” articles we see in media.

@catd You’re rocking it! I’m 30 and I’ve been into fitness on and off. Wasn’t until now that I can lift heavier than before 😌 just hip thrust 110lbs and squat 95lbs! Maybe hormones?