Unsure on how to progress with C&P and squat

mattt

Background: I've recently completed Dry Fighting Weight (plus swings and TGUs), and Geoff Neupert's 12 week kettlebell muscle-building Master Plan, with great results. Over the course of five months:
  • My press has progressed from 3 shaky reps with a single 24 to 10 solid reps with double 24s.
  • My double front squat has progressed from about 5 RM with double 24s to 15 RM.
Goal: building strength, pressing the 32.

My problem is that I simply can't strict press the 32, and I can't clean double 32s. Right now I'm just doing 30 minutes of single reps of push-presses with a 32, alternating with sets of 8 goblet squats with a 36, but I'm not sure how to turn this into a viable program.

Also, will doing push-presses eventually allow me to progress to strict press? It feels like a completely different excercise.

Yup. Mark wildman has a great video on this. I made a spreadsheet awhile back see if I can find it. Works for squats too

@mattt Kinda sorta maybe not really. (Push press helping by itself).

I got my first big jump in weight by push pressing and then doing partial presses for reps. So 1 push press, 5 presses only coming down halfway, then a slow full negative and repeat for a few sets.

Honestly, if you can hit double 24s for 10 you should be pretty close. Put some work in with those partials plus a harder variant with the 24 (bottoms up presses for example). Then do racked and overhead carries with the 32.

Also, pay real close attention to your single bell press form.

Alternate those days with days that you hit up more volume with double 24s, like 2-3-5 ladders.

@mattt Might need some 28s my friend. Or tons more volume of the 24s.

Once you can hit 24s for about 15 ish you should be able to get atleast one rep of 32.

@dawn16 Got it. I like the idea of alternating a heavy day of push presses, with a volume day with the 24s.

What would you recommend regarding the squats?

@mattt You could do 32 pushpress with slow eccentric on one day and on anither do volume with 24s, for example 3, 5, 7 ladders. Double swings will help with the hinge, perhaps moving into high pulls (or just high pulls with the 24s). Or at least do rows.

@mattt I’m in a similar position. My only advice is that I did Total Tension Kettlebell for 6 weeks, starting with push presses on a 24 kg, and by week 3 I was pressing, and week 5 pressing a few more reps. So my experience was that push pressing for reps did allow me to eventually do strict presses with same weight. Good luck!

@mattt
  1. pressing a pair of 32s is a lot of weight. Not many people can do that, so give yourself a break! and be patient with your great progress.
  2. IMO each bell (24. 28, 32) is exponentially harder to use. so going from a 24 to 32 will be difficult.
  3. Do you have barbell access? Start pressing heavier than 64 kg...the same weight on KB is harder IMO, so go heavy as you can.
  4. Do you know how to jerk? I would recommend jerking the 32 before you press it. You get to use your leg strength. It will get your body used to having the 32 overhead.

@mattt I could press double 32s from training full range Pike Push-ups on paralettes (feet on chair), so that's something with very little equipment that you could do to help with it.

Back