Bodyweight Fitness Progress Chart

@abby564 Maybe I should move everything from their level 5 row from beginner to intermediate and level 9 from intermediate to advanced. That would move the Muscle Up to intermediate.

@abby564 Haha lol it is not like that.. Not at all...

Comparing it to other stuff like all those levers, OACs or anything that you see in the street workout culture, muscleups aren't that difficult. That is just a fact and it is what it is. I don't know why people make a big deal about muscleups.

@abby564 In gymnastic terms, it's not considered a skill at all, it's just a means of getting on top of the rings to say, top support. Difficult for most adults who haven't trained it that long but get any half decent Boys gymnastics class and it's simply a prerequisite once they've spent a decent amount of time playing on the rings.

@jellybug78 Is there anyone here who can truly say he's "intermediate" and if so, tell me how long you trained to achieve these levels of BW strength?

@jellybug78 I love it, however I have one objection with the difficulty scale. The one arm push up is ranked as being on the same level as the one arm pull-up and higher than the muscle up.

@dawn16 If you look on the OG charts, one arm pushup is low end intermediate. Muscle up is high end beginner.. it's definitely not as hard and unrated in the gymnastics code of points as it's a basic skill. One arm pullups is on the high end intermediate

@filledefleur I mentioned in another comment that maybe I should move everything from their level 5 row from beginner to intermediate and level 9 from intermediate to advanced. That would move the One Arm Pull Up to advanced.

@jellybug78 Damn this is pretty good. I also saw the 'graph' of 3umel you mentioned but when I looked at it, I wished there was a 'skill tree' and not a graph. This is more of the skill tree I was looking for. Thanks!

Not sure if it's feasible, but would be good if each name of the progression would link to a video of that progression so we can tap on the name and see how it looks like and how to perform it with good form.

@jellybug78 Are back levers really a Pulling Exercise?

Pulling exercises are usually upper-back and bicep, dominated. Back levers seem more like a chest dominated exercise with a bicep static hold.

@beaud20 It is because you are trying to move your arms towards your center of mass which is a pull by definition. Muscles worked are independent from determining whether it is a pull or push.

@giangnt Usually when people categorize an exercise as a pull or a push, their doing so based on whether it works either triceps/pecs/front delts as a push or lats/rear delts/mid traps/biceps as a pull

A back lever is IMHO a horizontal push in the same way that a planche is.

To resist gravity and hold a BL successfuly, you're applying resistance via shoulder flexion and shoulder flexion is by in large a movement that is performed by the clavicle head of the pec major and the front delts. Hence being a push.

If you want to be technical and say that moving your arms towards your center of mass is a pull then by that definition yes its technically a pull.

However such a definition is, in practical application, useless for deciding where it should fit in a workout.

Leading to a lot of people putting back levers with lat/bicep/rear delt exercises where it should be with front delt/chest/tricep exercises

@sng092
Usually when people categorize an exercise as a pull or a push, their doing so based on whether it works either triceps/pecs/front delts as a push or lats/rear delts/mid traps/biceps as a pull

This is an outdated way to categorize push and pull exercises and probably comes from weight training and/or bodybuilding circles where all their exercises are done with their hands in front of their bodies so that categorization works for the exercises they are doing.

Also, muscles like the lats and pecs are worked in either shoulder flexion or shoulder extension depending on where their ROM is relative to their body. And smaller muscles like the biceps can be working in shoulder flexion exercises and the triceps can be working in shoulder extension exercises. This is why you cannot tie any one muscle group to either push or pull exercises.

A back lever is IMHO a horizontal push in the same way that a planche is.

They share many similarities in muscle groups worked and are both shoulder flexion, but one distinction is that the lats are a prime mover in shoulder flexion when the shoulders are hyperextended like in the back lever whereas the lats are only a stabilizer in the planche. This is a great example that corroborates my point above.

However such a definition is, in practical application, useless for deciding where it should fit in a workout.

The definition of push or pull is just to describe the movement and nothing more. This is also used in OG and GB to categorize exercises.

You need to be somewhat knowledgeable on which muscles are worked in each exercise to know where they should fit in a workout.

@beaud20 You can't categorise any lever that way. No lever is just one or two muscle dominant exercise. Back lever is a complex move which involves chest, back, biceps, triceps, shoulders and core.