Will 50 pushups a day make a noticeable difference?

@ernestservant what a stupid advice. a recipe for overuse injury. rather than gradually increasing the intensity, why would anyone increase the reps to stupid amounts if the goal is to build strength?

@omadaze Because this is r/BodyweightFitness and we’re here to discuss bodyweight fitness.

Don’t insult others when you don’t know what you’re talking about; 100 push-ups per day is not a “stupid amount” and will certainly not cause overuse injury. Neither will 200. Source: I’m an actual expert.

OP’s goal is to bench 35kg. He weighs 53kg. In a flat push-up, you press 64% body weight, i.e., 33.92 kg in OP’s case. It is no surprise that he is “nearly” at a 35kg bench, and achieving that bench press is more a stability and familiarity goal than a strength goal.

@yochanagrace Strength adaptation are better induced by performing high-load resistance training.

Doing high load exercises at low reps is certainly better at developing strength. What is the goal of OP? It is to do a 35 kg bench press.

Doing 100 pushups per day in multiple sets when each set has high intensity and high reps is recipe for tendinopathy.

If their tendons are developed to a high degree and they have the necessary strength to do 100 pushups per day in a relatively easy manner, what is the point of doing 100 pushups?

You blatantly disregarding the fact that a training routine should be constructed according to the goal makes me wonder what kind of an expert you are.

@omadaze
Strength adaptation are better induced by performing high-load resistance training.

We are not seeking to induce a strength adaptation. See above:

achieving that bench press is more a stability and familiarity goal than a strength goal.

In fact, a quick trip to the 1RM calculator shows that his calculated max bench (using a 34kg bench as stand-in for his 33.92kg pushup) is 45kg. As I reiterate, it's not a strength adaptation.

Doing 100 pushups per day in multiple sets when each set has high intensity and high reps is recipe for tendinopathy.

See the bit in italics? Literally nobody said that. When you make things up in order to tear down an argument that nobody made, it's called a straw man argument. Don't do that.

If their tendons are developed to a high degree and they have the necessary strength to do 100 pushups per day in a relatively easy manner, what is the point of doing 100 pushups?

Self improvement. Even as a strong athlete who can do 25 strict HSPU, pushups remain relevant for me; they remain relevant for him.

You blatantly disregarding the fact that a training routine should be constructed according to the goal

I already showed him how to get to the goal.

makes me wonder what kind of an expert you are.

The kind with over a decade's experience in the industry and a degree in sports science. That kind.

@yochanagrace yeah, it seems you have the necessary qualification to comment on the subject. i retract my statement.

But i still think that doing 100 pushups/day is an inappropriate way to improve 1rm bench press. it is better to use a strength-training approach to increase the 1rm weighted pushup using backpacks and books. since increasing muscle strength is a goal written in the OP.

also, if the problem is form/familiarity issue then perfecting the bench press form at a lower intensity will definitely be better than doing '100 pushups a day'.

also, your original comment didn't contradict my main point (why 100 pushups/day ?).

i am having issue with the recommendation of doing 100 pushups per day. what is the point of doing that?

it won't help in 1rm bench press that much at all compared to a bodyweight strength routine. it is obsolete and unnecessary.

also, self improvement at what? Your self-improvement may be by doing 100 pushups in one set which is a muscle endurance goal. OP's goal is to develop strength. It is very disingenuous to replace OP's goal with your personal goal.

@lucyt25 I do about 100 pushups almost everyday. Been doing it for about 1 year. My shoulders, arms and chest are all bigger. I finally fixed a chest imbalance I had for years.

I'm sure I am stronger at bench but I don't really do it. I'm at the point now where 100 pushups is more of a warm up rather than a workout.

@lucyt25 Last August, I did 100 pushups a day for 100 days, and it made a noticeable difference in my triceps. I think 50/day could work for you depending on where you're at

@lucyt25 a proper technique pushup is around 2/3 of your bodyweight
what you are saying does not add up. A person who does 10 pushups should be able to bench 35 even for a smaller number of reps than pushups

If you can do 10 pushup in a row
a) you are cheating with your pushups
b) your bench form is very poor and ineffective
c) both

I would recommend doing slow pushups with stiff body and full range of motion each rep. dont go for number targets. Just do 3 sets with good effort. Since i suspect you have form issues I would recommend going to failure on each set (i.e. stopping only when you cannot move your body anymore)
I think pushups are actually better for you until you build more foundational strenght. Pushups are very safe and stable. You can push hard and learn your limits.

A beginner should never try their limits on bench because
1) bench starts from a strong position, followed by a negative, then the hardest part where you have reverse any momentum. You can easily get under a weight you cannot lift
2) bench actually requies considerable stability on your shoulder, in order to execute with good form

If you want to bench press, I would recommend doing dumbbel presses or pushups to improve strenght
at the same time you can just lift the empty bar on the bench and record yourself to study your form

Since this is bodyweight subreddit, I should also stress that bodyweight only is a great way to train until you hit certain limits. its difficult to simulate heavy lifts like bench, squat, deadlift with bodyweight only; however you are far far away from that place where you lose out on gains due to intensity

@lucyt25 Honestly anything that you do that is more than what you have been doing is a plus... You said that you have just started working out 4 weeks ago, and you just started benching I take it.
I assume that you are now getting comfortable with whatever weight your pushing currently and are starting to see your 1st gains. So immediately after you finish your chest workout, top it off with 3 sets of push ups to failure. You will get very fast gains anyway (at least for the 1st 8 to 12 weeks) becasue you are new to working out as long as you are getting proper nutrition , rest and using proper form..
Something else that may help will be your supplement stacks. Get yourself some micronized creatine monohydrate (stuffs pretty cheap on amazon ) and a good preworkout to start (I use pmd pump fuel).
Good thing about push ups too is that they are both a calisthenics and a resistance exercise, so you cand do them everyday if you want, but I'd just do them on days that you do chest after your chest workout and then on day you work arms.
I dont do them them much honestly because I hate doing them. Lol. I was in the army for 5 yrs and just learned to hate them
Hope this helped and I wasn't too long winded

@lucyt25 No, but doing 3 sets to failure (or when form starts to fail) will. It’s those last reps of the set where you see gains.

So if you aren’t getting to that point where the reps are challenging then you aren’t stimulating much growth

@lucyt25 Pushup strength won't really translate to bench strength, but some wide grip pushups will blow your chest up.

Maybe if you get a weighted vest and stick to the 5 rep range you might get more strength