Will I always be absolutely destroyed after a workout until I’m out of the obese category?

@thornbearer
it doesn’t seem like protein is very important at my extreme obese state

I'm going to stop you right there.

I'm all for the veggies but you need to have some lean protein with those veggies. Grilled chicken is almost always a great addition there.

Also, your macronutrient ratios don't matter so much as raw calories in versus calories out, carbs are going to make your brain work better and make you feel better, and give you energy for your workouts, healthy fats are going to help your heart and your brain as well, especially omega-3s, and protein is important not only to build muscle but also to fuel normal bodily processes like creating enzymes and such.

@thornbearer You want to lose weight, but you have to still feed your body! Exercise and food patterns can’t become a punishment for where you are now, or else they won’t last. Cut out the garbage, find your CICO limit and actually stick to it (aka get comfortable with being hungry sometimes and not reaching to satisfy it immediately), and take it easy with exercise. Your body is gonna feel like garbage when you ask it to do something physical it hasn’t done in a long time (or ever)—what you’re doing is building muscle, which is done by them literally tearing themselves down to be built back up; there is no part of that that should be comfortable. If you were ripped, a good workout should challenge and tire your body out; it’ll just last longer and do more before it hits failure.

Remember, recomping can be tricky to wrap your head around. If you’re cutting cals dramatically from what you’re used to, but also working out, that can be hard to manage as someone new to both. Exercise makes you hungry and wears you out—two things that’ll make you want to reach for comforts, which may or may not be good. You 100% can lose weight simply by watching what you eat, so if the exercise is adding a layer on top that is going to demotivate you from EVERYTHING, cut it down or out. Do 15min on 3incline, or walk outside and listen to a podcast. Moving will always be better than not, but if you bite off too much too fast, you risk dropping the routine altogether, and the only way you can see results is by sticking with what you’re doing day-in and day-out for at least a year. So set yourself up for success! Make a plan for the next 90 days, and reassess from there 🤘

@thornbearer Until you get a bit more fit, you will be sore. DOMS usually hits the hardest two days after a work out. Extreme soreness really sucks! However, the worst soreness I have gotten with new exercise routines goes away after the first few weeks of working out. After that, I generally only get mild soreness, the "feels good, like I did something!" kind.

If the soreness is as bad as you describe, I'd try going every third day for a while, and just walking or stretching in between. I have found I am less sore when I eat more protein in my diet. I don't think it is because of your weight--it is because of your fitness level. I say that because I get the same kind of "oh no, I can barely move!" soreness from beginning a new form of exercise, even if I am at the lower end of a normal weight range.

@thornbearer Hard work is hard work. You will make huge progress if you keep at it, and your brain will get conditioned too, but it’s never easy. Your capacity just gets higher.

@thornbearer Definitely add protein. For your height I'd shoot for about 60g per day minimum. Also, when I'm coming back from a hiatus I personally do best on an ever other day schedule. For whatever reason with the extra rest day between the soreness is worse.

@thornbearer Hey! If the pain is soreness then that pain should dissipate after a couple more workouts and only ever reappear when you maybe tryout a nee exercise that works a different muscle more/differently. (At least, in general).

The soreness you are feeling is completely normal. It absolutely sucks for a day or two (and if really unlucky, 3), but be proud of it! It means you put in good work that got your muscles working in a way they haven't and they are trying to acclimate to new movement and (healthy) strain! It's okay if you need a couple more days to let the soreness go away -- what matters is you get back into the thick of it when you are able to))

I also want to add something really important: your diet may have helped you lose weight so far, but there will come a point where it will do way more harm than good. You're on the right track, but realize that for muscle building (which will aid in fat loss to some degree) requires protein. In fact, your body in general needs protein, carbs and fats to work at max efficiency. I'd speak with someone who has a bit kore authority over the subject, but if I were you, I would add some lean proteins back into my diet and reevaluate how much you have cut back on carbs and fats.

I think the general idea is that as long as you are at a healthy caloric deficit, you should be losing weight. I'd definitely speak with a trainer if you have the time or money.

Also, it wasn't mentioned, but the one thing you can def cut down on (and preferably cut out if you are aiming for fat loss) is alcohol and constant looking at the scale. Alcohol is something many of my friends have found to be the enemy of their fat loss journeys and obsessing over a number on the scale can have serious repercussions on our mental health. Just be mindful. Your mental health is as important as your physical health!

@thornbearer It's normal to hurt for a few days after a workout, and it's normal for that to start 2 days after the workout itself (DOMS), but you shouldn't be hurting so much that you can't engage in your daily activities.

Your workout sounds like it might be too much too soon. That can be discouraging to hear if you're comparing yourself to the other people you see working out in the gym or the workouts you see online, but those other people and other workouts aren't YOU.

There's a rule of thumb that you only want to increase up to 10% effort in a workout every week. That means going 10% faster or 10% longer if you're running, or 10% more weight if you're lifting. So how much activity do you typically get in a day when you don't work out? Let your first week look like 10% of that. Build up over time.

Don't punish yourself for working out by giving yourself days of pain afterwards. Do a level of activity that you can keep up with and ENJOY, and build it up slowly. And don't look to what anyone else is doing for comparison -- only for ideas.

The other thing I would suggest is to focus on weight loss first and then, once you're closer to your goal weight, add in some weight training to "recomp" (change the composition of your body). It's really hard to both put on muscle AND lose weight at the same time, and your body just can't do it effectively. So, focus on diet and getting your general activity levels up for now.

@thornbearer Hey hey! I think you're getting good nutritional advice and a lot of stuff about how to recover that seem useful. I think a lot of people are also giving you routine tips that you might like too! I just wanted to say that, as someone who feels relatively fit and has been active for a long part of my life. If I:
  1. Try something wildly new that works different muscle groups OR
  2. Haven't exercised in a while (due to illness or sadness or traveling or emergencies or whatever) and get back into the things I do to feel good
I get ABSOLUTELY destroyed. It doesn't matter if it was me at my thinnest or heaviest, it doesn't matter if it's me at my most or least muscular, doing something new will make it hard to move around. I knew a rowing team captain who took a pilates class with me one time and he was a low body fat kind of jacked guy but two days later he was like "I can't row because of you and my thighs hurt every time I get up from my desk". It happens! When I used to go to the gym one of my goals was to do pull ups and every time I added a little less assistance I'd feel it when I got out of bed. I got covid back in 2020 (pre vaccine, got the long covid lungs, still have a hard time with that) and the first time I did pilates, every time I laughed my body hurt! It's better now, but if I take a break again, (which is okay, things come up!) I might experience a little it of that.

When I was an athlete (in college I was a varsity fencer) after tournaments my whole body would be a mess. Back then I practiced for 3 hours 5 days a week (plus 2 hours of mandatory weightlifting) and a weekend tournament would still mean my roommate would have to help me roll out my quads while laughing at me.

It's not about not being strong enough--it means you did something significant. Of course, always listen to your body, because overdoing it is bad for sure, and too much muscle damage might actually shrink your muscles (like if you don't space out your workouts then you might not grow back enough of the stuff you've broken down in time, there's reading about this elsewhere in xxfitness).

But I want you to know that getting wrecked is not weakness and you're gonna get stronger.

I also want to say that for me I really try to focus on small things I can add to my workout routine and I ramp up really, really slowly (because 3 hours 5 days a week is not a way I ever want to live in real life--it was only worth it when I was on a team and I wanted to stab my opponents real good, nowadays if I exercise for like 30 minutes, I'm pretty happy!).

Like back when I was weightlifting I'd really add like 5 lbs at a time (and when I was nervous I'd try 2.5 the first set, and then add 5)--when I felt ready to, when it felt super easy to lift the previous weight. This isn't how a lot of my friends do or did it, they liked to get uncomfortable faster than I did--but it's what worked for me because it was the way I was able to keep going to the gym and not burn out by trying too many things too soon or trying too hard too soon. And I was able to have a consistent routine and try things for years! (Also, I still got sore sometimes! lol)

@thornbearer In the beginning everything is harder, your body and mind will adapt and it will become more enjoyable and even something you crave eventually.

Remember It is OK to ramp down some of your workouts when you need to.

You want a mix of workouts where some are heavier harder and some are longer and less intense.

And more important than tough workouts is making sure you don't burn out.

That doesn't mean not to push yourself but make sure you don't push yourself so hard thst you stop.

@thornbearer This is called delayed onset muscle soreness. It’s very common at the beginning of working out, no matter what your body weight is. If you keep it up, it will diminish and then stop happening.

@thornbearer I just want to comment to give you a little pep talk from another internet stranger in a similar situation. I think you're doing great! I know what it's like to want to ride that wave of motivation while you have it. Also, I think there's so much great advice here about diet that I'm finding helpful, too, so thanks for starting this discussion.

I recently posted about having trouble getting enough protein into my diet and someone suggested protein shakes. I just got some powder and almond milk this weekend. I have to say it just tastes ok, but I'm getting 30 g of protein in a 180 calorie snack, and it was very filling.

Good luck and keep up the hard work!

@thornbearer It’s only been a few days. It takes longer than that to get used to exercising again. Give it a few weeks at least.

This doesnt really have to do with weight. It’s just not being used to exercising

@thornbearer Hey OP, it looks like you've already gotten some great advice about ways to deal with DOMS: eating more protein, ensuring you're well hydrated, getting good sleep and spacing out your workouts will all help. The pain typically lasts 2, sometimes 3 days, but it gets more manageable once your body adjusts to the workout.

I just wanted to add a note of caution: if your body is aching and stiff and your urine is tea-coloured - go to the hospital. It's rare, but sometimes people's bodies react badly to a heavy workout. The darkened urine is something to watch out for, if your urine is clear, you're all good and your muscles will recover in another day.

@thornbearer I don't want to discourage you.
I have a healthy weight and I also feel destroyed after working out from time to time. (I usually like it) The delayed onset muscle soreness is real.

The nice thing is you will be stronger, have more control over your body and you will be able to do more with less effort.

So yeah... (A little) pain is part of life.

Chronic pain is part of my life and by exercising I manage it. Focus on the things that do go right, focus on what you want to achieve and be proud of where you already are. Enjoy the road, don't see pain as a problem but as a part of your life and learn what types of pain you get to deal with and what you/your body needs to ease it.
Sometimes it's rest, sometimes it's a walk, sometimes it's a training.
If you are too destroyed, maybe take it easier for a few days so your muscles can recover.
Or don't use 7 days as a schedule for your training but make your training week 10 days so you can better plan your rest days.

Good luck!

@thornbearer I've been consistent with working out and recently I had to take off two months because I had surgery.

On Saturday I finally tested some movements and did a little bit of squatting. I too feel that destroyed feeling. I'm so fucking sore and I didn't even do much. But that's ok and it happens. What's best for my body to get rid of the soreness is to rest a day or two then go back to working those exact muscles. It helps move the lactic acid out of those muscles and I feel like 80-90% better than earlier that day.

@thornbearer Please, please reconsider your diet. Eating exclusively roasted vegetables is essentially a crash diet. You will get to a point where you just can’t do it anymore, and you will likely end up binging. Unsustainable diets almost always result in the dieter regaining all the lost weight and more.

It’s important to make small and sustainable changes so that your results aren’t dependent on an extreme lifestyle shift. When the results are based on that, the results are unsustainable too and will not stick when the extreme is no longer followed.

You said you’re eating things that are healthy, but solely eating vegetables is not healthy. Eating balanced meals is the way to go and your results will not be dependent on something unsustainable. You asked about recovery—not eating protein will make recovery much more difficult, as your body needs protein to repair the muscle tears that occur from working out.

As for working out, it’s always tough and a big adjustment for anyone who is not used to it. There are plenty of fat people out there who are very “good” at exercise, for a lack of better words. It will get better in time, you’ll just have to build it.

Doing low reps with a higher weight is going to build more mass. I think looking into circuit-style workouts would be better suited for your goals!

@christianteen1997 Came here to say this too. Changing your diet this drastically is not sustainable. It’s okay to eat a lot of roasted vegetables but it’s important to also incorporate some of the things you love, otherwise you are absolutely setting yourself up to binge and fail.

I know it is so tempting to go at this with every single thing you’ve got, but you didn’t gain all this weight in 3 months and you’re not going to lose it that fast either. Research shows that the people who lose in a slow and sustained way are the ones more likely to keep it off.

Small and sustainable changes along the way and in a year you won’t even recognize yourself. You can totally do it!!! Just be patient and kind to yourself!!!!

Back