2020 CrossFit Games Finals Event 7: Snatch Speed Triple

@the_laconic_dead I actually thought Davidsdottir was worse she had no intention of competing in the final round against Tia and Brooke but because it only applies to 5th place she gets a free pass

@the_laconic_dead He already got 4th place locked in after Medeiros lost the first round. No effort could only have applied if Noah, for instance, missed his first lift in round 1, resulting in him being sure to lose the event and not even trying to lift the other bars to save himself for the rest of the day

@rasnosauj i don't know. i said it above and probably should've said originally, i do think it's a strange rule. there's no way to apply it in a consistent way, and all five of them are pretty fucking fit, so getting 'no effort' in any context feels strange

@jasonrporter0316 if you cant lift the weight you cant lift the weight.

Last year in the clean ladder, hayley was in the same spot. she couldnt hit the opening weight. touched the bar and stood there waiting for time to expire...

Is the 'effort' penalty a zero for the event or elimination from the whole competition?

@ezie zero for the event. and i think noah's listed snatch PR is 288#, so i don't think him continuing to try for 265# is out of the question— or at least pretending he is

@jasonrporter0316 This shouldn't be a discussion. The only reason there is a discussion is because HQ made a stupid rule that was open to interpretation (Ohlsen was "last place" in his heat, and he quit). Ohlsen did the exact thing any intelligent competitor would do, and should be acknowledged for making the smart play.

@aaron2025 that’s exactly why the rule was created. A good athlete would realize that when you are on event, say, 5, out of 12, and you are dead last, you sand bag and save your strength and energy for the next event. Especially when actual time makes no difference in your score. The rule was set in place to prevent sandbagging . So in this case, Olsen should have been penalized for not at least trying, but if he was warned, could have made the argument that he was afraid of being injured (legitimate concern).

Back