3 Years of Calisthenics (Lots of info)

@momto3 oh f*ck me, thats my bad. I was planning on testing my muscle ups and never got around to it, that was an aspiration 10 that I wrote down 😅. I did 3 sets of 5 bar after front lever training a few months back so I'm probably 7-10 the range but cant give you a concrete number. (Also updated the sheet)

I think Front lever, especially front lever pull ups have such a huge carry over to muscle ups. If your adv tuck front lever pull ups are strong, you're strong with muscle-ups. I can get at least 5 adv tuck bar to my waist for reference.

@button I want to ask if did you train for hypertrophy to gain muscle or are you more focused on skill work?

I'm having trouble discerning bodyweight basics such as Pullups, dips, pushups and squats vs skill based movements for muscle growth.

@button Awesome progress, nice work! How did you deal with the neck pain? I'm about a month into the recommended routine after a long hiatus, and my neck has been killing me. I've been trying to make sure my form is good and I'm not trying to do too difficult of a progression, just wondering if there's anything else I should be paying attention to or ways to address it.

@idkusername THIS IS ALL SUBJECTIVE ADVICE, I AM NOT A LICENSED PROFESSIONAL:

Fixing my neck pain was about finding the right amount of doing nothing and doing too much. I spent a whole month not stretching, not working out, trying not to think about it, and it didn't help at all. I also on the other had tried lacrosse balls and foam rolling all the time, every day and that made it worse.

I would suggest very very light stretching, 10% effort pnf, a few times a week. If that doesn't make it worse, you can start upping the frequency to every day. Work on keeping your chin tucked throughout the day (think double chin), don't squeeze it as hard as you can for 5 minutes and be too tired to keep doing it all day, just make a little reminder to yourself when you notice it. The same thing with your chest, I think of the phrase 'tits up' from the marvelous mrs maisel, but point your chest toward the ceiling not towards the floor. Feel your chest push through your arms rather than trying to squeeze your shoulderbladed back all day. Also stretch out your chest, and make sure you're doing some exercises to help with both external and internal rotator streangth.

Thats everything I can think of to help someone in your situation. All that being said, when I was having my own issues, and looking for solutions on the internet, every solution that I tried failed. Only a physical therapist was able to come up with a plan to help me.

@button We share the same height but I'm nearly 10kg heavier than you, so i have some kind of hope about achieving the Straddle Planche this year, btw you got a really cool training gear and set up in your place. Congratulations for your Progress.

@button First of all, congrats on the progress!

You said you went down a rabbit hole of ThenX's videos and then found informative youtubers instead, what makes them better? I've been going off ThenX for my calisthenics workouts, but if I should be listening to someone else I'd love to know!

Edit: Also I'm at around a couple hundred hours of rocket league myself 😅

@vault101survivor I shouldn't rag on him so hard, he just falls into the trap of a sensationalized type of content sometimes which can be misleading for newer people. He has good content for sure, and I've learned plenty from him, I just would just take some of the things he says with a grain of salt and don't be afraid to question it if someone else has differing opinions.

"It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." Gold star if you know the guy who said it 😊

@dawn16 Understanding what pains mean 'warning don't push any further', 'you might be sore for a few days because of this', and 'oh you fucked up this time' has been helpful in stopping me shy of making things worse. In general, warm-ups, post-workout stretching, bedtime stretching, making sure I'm functionally using ranges of motion I'm not training have all been very beneficial. Main thing that has helped me is just making mistakes and trying to learn from them so that I don't make them again.

@russellgeyer I stopped doing exercises that gave me worse tendonitis, specifically assisted Muscle ups. I worked on piked front lever pull ups instead and it still allowed me to achieve my first muscle up without directly working on it.

Good wrist and forarm warm ups and exercises can also help with tendonitus, but are much more effective if you don't already have the pain.

@button Mate you're on fire! I got 2 questions:

What exactly was your nutritional strategy? You've mentioned you were on a high fat and low-protein regime, didn't track calories all the way and I saw your reply here in the comments, that you've oftentimes used protein bars and shakes as a boost, but I still don't understand essentially what were the cornerstones of that regime?

Secondly, I've been doing the recommended workout regime (from this sub) for about a month now. I can do about 10 regular pull-ups, 10 dips, 15 rows, 20-25 push-ups, 60-70 crunches/ab-airbike, about 15 leg raises and 20-30 mins L-sit.

However, I struggle big time when it comes to coordination and form in doing the dragon flag, front lever, handstands, planche - I can't do either of these properly and I really.. Really want to. What would you recommend as a progression to achieving these 4 exercises..?

P.S. Also - did you do any cardio training..?

@bigriver 😆 my nutrition is not a good example of a healthy one. The reason I ate high fat was because I wasn't eating super healthy when I first started training. I was however working out 6x a week for 2 ish hours so I was just burning enough through being physically active to make up for my poor diet. 90% of weight loss is simply input vs output in my opinion.

Understanding the form on dragon flag and front lever is quite easy actually. I suggest using a resistance band to understand what's going on and making it easier to spend time practicing. Beyond learning the form, you'll need a lot of strength. Pull ups and weighted Pull ups are great for back strength. Honestly I would forget about Planche, I'm not putting a big focus on it until I get 5 handstand push ups for reference, because its seriously it's that freaking hard. Handstands can be learned with back to wall handstands and trying to slowly pull off the wall a little and easy back to touching the wall (is heel pulls). Chest to wall versions of that are better (toe pulls) but are more difficult.

Very little cardio, jump rope when I had access to a gym, but I do like going on walks.

@button Great progress dude 🤟 just a few questions for a beginner who has been doing the recommended routine for like 3 months at this point when would you recommended to start working on skills and how would you start?