Are weighted pull ups even worth it?

@vinod367 Bullshit. I went from doing 3-5 reps bodyweight to 3-5 reps with 20kg chin-ups and my back grew the most form it than from doing any other back exercises.

@ama1 Agreed.

I can do 5 x 40kg at 80kg. The trick to weighted pulls (and I swear by this) is to reverse pyramid them. Do 3 reps at max weight then drop 10% weight but add 1 rep. 5 sets.

E.g

3 x 20
4 x 18
5 x 16

Nothing in this world will fuck your back up like reverse pyramid weighted pulls.

Sometimes I’ll get doms for 2-3 days after.

@ama1 Did you not find it hard to progress in the 3-5 reps range? Or did you just give absolute numbers and have also used other rep ranges to progress on chin ups.

@vinod367 3x3-5 progression was fine. I basically did double progression adding reps and weight whenever I would hit top numbers. I ether go low rep weighted or AMRAP bodyweight.

@vinod367 How are you supposed to get 12-15 strict pull-ups without ever adding weight to them? Wouldn’t it be way easier to implement all the tools at your disposal?

@lovelyhipopp I tackle pull-ups in the same manner as all of my training. Except for the first warmup set I do bodyweight for first the warmup, progressively heavier into second warm up, then usually 5-10kg heavier for the last warmup pushing for 4 reps. Then 3-4 working sets as usual with the last set potentially being a drop set or even just another bodyweight set.

I don’t really care about the weighted working sets tbh as long as the unweighted rep count continues to increase. Doing this has helped get me from doing barely 3 unweighted pull ups to 8 in the span of 4 weeks. @ 105kg body weight.

The only other thing I could possibly do to speed things along is to do this twice a week, at the moment my other pull day starts off with a hinge row into lat pull downs

@vinod367 If you can't do at least 2 sets of 6 reps super strict of anything you shouldn't be doing it for hypertrophy, weighted pull-ups aren't any different here.

Are pull-ups, whether assisted, standard or weighted a great part of any back routine? Yes.

Should you be doing the variant you've mastered for your development level? Also yes.

@nokuzola superstrict is never good, unnatural movement, high force where leverage is bad, puts unnecessary strain on connective tissue and forces you to lower weight reducing tension during other parts of the lift