Are weighted pull ups even worth it?

@vinod367 All I can say is show me a Navy SEAL, or Marine, with bad lat development…..

I love Dr. Mike, and science has its place, but sometimes it just gets crazy. Sometimes, the old fashioned basics really do work.

@vinod367 well dr.mike is big fan of a extend ROM moves, yes, it is always better u get 10-15 reps in pull up you gonna do before add weight for being sure u not fuck the from but if you not use pullups for whole back development and focus lats why should it be a problem? it strech living shit out your lats but if you gonna do sternum to bar yes get 10-15 sternum pullups first

@vinod367 Of course they’re worth it. I’d argue that you’d be better off only doing the bottom half of the rep rather than wasting energy on the top half. You can likely add more weight or perform more reps while working the muscle through a more lengthened range of motion. The top half of the rep, where the muscle is most shortened, is where you’re weakest and generates the most fatigue.

@3n1_seventhgear Given recent evidence supporting the positive effects of long length muscle training for hypertrophy, I’d say so. This is how I train myself, from a deadhang to about eye level with the bar. Last set is bodyweight only with full ROM to failure.

@vinod367 Honestly, it gets boring after awhile if you are adding reps. The first few reps are just tedious after a while. I do want some lower rep work and adding weight works. Also, the people Mike train are usually freaking heavy.

@vinod367 Volume stimulates growth, weight stimulates strength.

Weighted will help get you stronger. Stronger muscles will potentiate improvements to volume performance.

Hitting higher reps will grow more muscle size. Larger muscles increase the strength potential.

Both are, I'd argue, important depending on what your goals and targets and current ability is.

@lovethechrist I like this reply. I think that's why you want some sort of periodization moving back and forth between the ranges. Might be where the "shock/confuse the muscle" bro-science quote comes from.

@eighty It kinda is. The body adapts well and gets used to things so a syrenfth phase generally won't be invitingly productive. That strength phase makes you more sensitive to volume and thus growth, but equally when the plateau hits you can change it up to strength again. I think people take that quote too far and change things weekly, and don't allow the body to respond to that repeated stimulus.

@vinod367 If you feel you are leaving gains on the table doing weighted pull-ups for low reps, why not take weight off your belt immediately after and dropset?