Building an Outdoor Gym: Under $800 and 48 sqft, for all your BWF needs! (If you have access to a backyard space.)

@amotz I installed the Stamina 65-1460 Outdoor Fitness Power Tower today and it took me around 45 min. It’s outside similar to yours but takes up less room. Price point was $300 which is better but no rings so that’s a trade off. I was shocked at build quality and I was able to fasten it to my yard with 3 foot poles and a nut.

Very sturdy unit for 2 grips of pull ups, dips, abs, and a push up variation.

@kmoore What a name that is "Stamina 65-1460 Outdoor Fitness Power Tower". I'm on board for any power tower, they are a calisthenic trainers dream. But I really wanted the rings, the rings are an important part of my journey in life right now :)

@dawn16 Mine is tucked away behind my garage in the corner of my fenced in yard. It’s not going to really be seen unless I’m training. Overall the aesthetic is worse sure but it’s easy to set up and takes up little space. It just depends on yard situation etc... personally I use the middle of my yard to run the dog and grill.

@amotz Auger rental????? Digging with a shovel provides great body weight fitness.

Take it from someone that dug holes for 25 fence posts last summer. When I was finished I wished I had rented an auger lol......

@acappella247 Digging with a shovel is a fucking nightmare. Use a spade. And learn to change hands to prevent overuse injuries. And dig with your foot and not your shoulder. And if possible dig in small squares and pry out the cubed earth.

Source: I dug holes for a living.

Ps: You can get digging shovels, but nothing beats a nice sharp spade. Just don't swing it wildly into your shins or toes.

@josh328 This makes no sense. That's like using the word spoon for both a spoon and a fork. Surely society can't function with such madness.

@hope In my experience it's contextual. If you mention shovelling snow everyone will assume you mean with a snow shovel. If you want to plant a tree you might get a spade or a digging shovel and they will be considered the same thing.

@josh328
shovel
/ˈʃʌv(ə)l/
noun
a tool resembling a spade with a broad blade and typically upturned sides, used for moving coal, earth, snow, or other material

spade
/speɪd/
noun
a tool with a sharp-edged, typically rectangular, metal blade and a long handle, used for digging or cutting earth, sand, turf, etc.

Examples:
Square Nose/Head/Mouth Shovel - Shit at digging, great at shovelling.

Bull/Round Nose/Head/Mouth Shovel - Slightly better at digging, slightly worse at shovelling.

Spade - great at digging, shit at shovelling.

Let's never speak of this again :)

@aklzpaul You just couldn't leave it alone could you...

The bullnose shovel is inferior mainly because the head is angled to assist shovelling. If you look down the side profile of a spade you will see the head and the shaft are aligned in a straight line. This means that when using your foot for leverage to dig you can put all your weight onto the head. With an angled head this isn't possible. With the bullnose you can only approach the ground at, I don't know, around 40°; if you want to dig you can't go perpendicular to the ground, meaning less depth achieved and less material removed:time.

This angled head also created a weak point at the intersection of shaft and head and leaves the bullnose shovel more prone to breaking if too much pressure is exerted on it.

The only reason a bullnose shovel is anywhere half decent at digging is because of the rounded nose. But really, the material need to be loose or soft, only then does it help complete jobs faster, but then one could argue is it really digging, or is it still just shovelling. For compacted materials it still sucks balls. With the angled head promoting shoulder digging as opposed to foot digging.

I'd also hazard that the rounded nose is also counter productive to digging compacted materials because the material being dug is not only being manipulated in the direction of the shaft but also in the direction of the plane of the head (so sideways). Although this assertion would need to be backed up by theoretical physics.

I hope this sufficiently answers your question.

@cmvince54 I'm an electrician here in Oklahoma. We do a ton of dirt work. None of my coworkers know the difference. Hell, I'm not sure I do.

Edit: just went to look, and yep, I had it completely backwards.