Comprehensive lululemon Legging Guide for an Ex-Employee

@silkybunny Which leggings would you recommend for aerial arts? No jumping involved but it's not exactly low impact. Lots of sweating and lots of contortion stretching moves. Also leggings are obviously rubbing against fabric/rope. Thanks for all this great info!

@wiltedflower I suggest the Wunder Unders in the Luxtreme fabric. Luxtreme is great at withstanding friction and high-intensity activities. It's also sweat-wicking and quick-drying. In the Wunder Under style, there are no extra seams or frills that would get in the way of the rope and the Wunder Unders are very stretchy!

@victory21 Oh wow thank you, good to know. I feel like you can never predict what leggings are going to be like on the fabric. Ones that seem like they'll be slippery often stick really well and vice versa. Are Luons better for that?

@silkybunny I purchased my very first pair of lululemon leggings (plain black low-rise Wunder Unders in a 4) when I weighed about 113 lbs and did a ton of running. I still have this pair today and wear them despite weighting about 137 now, thicker legs and thicker everything. I also own a purple crop pair of WU's and a pair of WU's made with a rulu fabric that is a herringbone pattern...currently wearing as I am typing. All three of these pairs were purchased in 2011. I used to own some luxtreme running tights as well but ended up growing out of them/not running in them anymore that I sold them.

Since then, any other pair of leggings I have purchased whether they were Athleta, Victorias Secret sport, Fabletics, FourAthletics, Fleo, Born Primitive, Vuori have not even come close to matching the quality nor accomodating my change in size.

I recently purchased two pairs of Align leggings the other day going up to a size 6 (because I was about to grow out of my 4 so why not) - and although they were soft, I was incredibly disappointed in how they were constantly falling down and not staying in place. They already started to pill between the legs after 1 wash and are way too delicate for me to use my fabric shaver on.. My regular luon leggings didn't start pilling for several years, but I can take a fabric shaver to those in confidence because the fabric is like freakin iron.

I've heard that the fabric quality has changed a bit over the years though - the original luon got changed to two versions (luon which is apparently lighter, and full-on-luon which is apparently slightly thicker? or the same?). But I have exchanged my aligns in hopes of getting another pair of Wunder Unders since that cut has been a dream. And, heading into pregnancy shortly most of my friends have said that the high-rise wunder unders have been the BEST pants going through maternity and beyond.

@softhenic The old luon was amazing and worth the price. Luon light doesn’t last as long, fit, or wear as well for me. I have a pair from 2010 that still get regular wear. They are faded but the best made yoga pants I’ve ever owned.

@silkybunny As someone who has been planning on getting my first pair of lulu’s (hopefully) sometime soon, this was an amazing guide to stumble upon!

I just wanted to ask about the leggings with pockets- are the leggings themselves snug enough to not start sliding down when you have your phone in your pockets? I’m a sucker for leggings with pockets, but I’ve had a slight problem with a few that I’ve tried where they start sliding down as I do any kind of cardio and I find myself pulling my leggings back up every 5 minutes. I’m hoping lulu’s don’t have this issue!

@cblack34 Like the other poster mentioned, I have to size down if I want to run in the leggings, especially with anything in the pockets. I wear an 8 for lounging and yoga, but a 6 for anything more active.

I haven't found the waistband tie to ever help much, as it seems to be stretchier than the pants. If I cinch down the tie on my 8s the leggings start to look awkwardly bunchy but don't really stay on better.

@cblack34 I have a few pairs with pockets (Speed Up, fast and free, on repeat which I can’t find online right now) and I don’t find that they slide down. I use them mainly for outdoor runs. My speed ups are a size too big and it’s only because of that that I ever have problems with them sliding down - I got a new pair in the right size recently and they did not budge for 5 miles with an iPhone 10 in the pocket. I compensated for sizing issues by using the drawstring, and I found it very effective. I think it depends on the compression of the leggings themselves, but I’ve never had problems with my Lulus on this!

@cblack34 YAY! Hope you love your first pair :)

Yes--all the pants with pockets either come with a drawstring waistband inside (so you can tie if necesssary) or are just super tight around the waist (i.e. All the Right Places and Speed Up). I have personally never had a problem of my leggings sliding off!

@silkybunny Oh wow I somehow managed to overlook the drawstring waistband part! That sounds awesome, I’m looking forward to trying some on in store soon! Thanks so much!

@silkybunny Would you say the Wunder Under or the Align is more squat proof? I usually go to a class called Solidcore (similar to Lagree), and when I go to a leg focused class we often do squats.

@catholicgirl201 i own multiple pairs of both wunder unders and aligns and i honestly only squat in aligns now. it’s not that the WUs aren’t squat proof, i just find aligns to be the most comfortable because they’re stretchier and not as tight.

@catholicgirl201 They should all be squat proof (although tbh, I've heard of people have some issues with certain lighter colors), and if they're not, I would recommend sizing up first.

The Aligns are more lightweight and naked-sensation while the Wunder Unders in Luxtreme are the most fast-drying and sweat-wicking, and in Luon are the most cottony. Just depends on what feel you like.

I do lagree and I love both (although I won't lie--Aligns are my 'fav child' lol)! :)

Back