Comprehensive lululemon Legging Guide for an Ex-Employee

@silkybunny I’ve never cared to spend 100+ on a pair of leggings but it seems like a lot of people don’t mind the price. Are they really worth it? I have a hard time justifying paying for one pair of leggings when I could buy 5 pairs of another brand.

@christiansince94 I'm not the OP but you do get what you paid for. I have WU's that are over 10 years old from Lulu still going strong. I run all winters in my Fleecy Keen from 2012 and it keeps me warm and still looks brand new. I have bought leggings from Joe Fresh, Old Navy and even Adidas that barely lasted me a year.

IMO for active wear, coats and boots one needs to pay for quality so the stuff doesn't fall apart in a few months. I picked the categories above as a Canadian who works out every day.

@christiansince94 I agree, I have a bunch from Amazon I’ve bought well over a year ago, some twice as long, that still fit great and look amazing under $30. As much as I would love to splurge on Lululemon it’s hard to justify when I know of some amazing cheap brands on Amazon that will feel and look great. But this post is really making me consider splurging lol!

@christiansince94 Not op. I was like you for years. I judged eye rolled whatever to 100 bucks. I keep using my old navy and Costco leggings thank you very much. I decided to ask for a pair for last Christmas. I spent 25 minutes at the store trying on every pair. I sent my mom the link and she bought them for me. For that entire year I ONLY wore those. I freaking loved them. Seriously al my others sat in the drawer. I’m still wearing that pair ( even after 3-4 days a week for an entire year) and for Christmas this year I got two more pairs. So basically I’m a convert. They’re just better.

@christiansince94 So I haven't tried any of the trendy legging brands recently discussed, but over the years I've used the following: MEC, Craft, adidas, Tasc, Gap, Eddie Bauer and Urban Outfitters. None were completely satisfying - some didn't stay up, some rode up, some got see through and some just weren't very comfortable.

On the other hand I got my first Lululemon yoga pants in 2003 and abused them until 2008 when I was forced to admit they no longer fit (a girl's body changes a lot through puberty). My second pair held up perfectly from 2008 until I retired them just a few months ago. That's a decade of wear and ignoring the washing instructions without issue. The first pair pilled a bit, but the second pair only ever showed some cracking on the reflective bits.

So when I had some extra money to spend two years ago, I decided to go with a brand I trusted and bought a pair of Lululemon leggings. They instantly became my favourites and other leggings only got worn when required. Within a few weeks I had splurged on a second pair. Yeah they're more expensive than other leggings, but when I consider their cost and how often I use them compared to jeans, bras or running shoes they don't seem obscene. I'd rather have a couple of nice expensive pairs than ten cheap pairs. I'm sure I could find something more affordable if I searched, but I'm not sure the process of finding them would save me any money.

All that said I wouldn't really consider these leggings worth it if spending $100+. They always have some discounted on the "We Made Too Much" section of their website, so paying full price seems like a waste of money in comparison. Right now the ones I like are $70 in CAD, so probably $50ish in USD?

@christiansince94 They are a lot cheaper if you can make it to an outlet location. I’ve only been to 2 Lululemon outlets but as far as I can tell the outlet clothes are made of the same materials, they’re just out of season and have fewer sizes available.

@christiansince94 I agree that $100+ is a lot to spend on pants! I think part of the reason people buy the leggings is for the brand--similarly to how people would pay thousands for a designer bag, even though other more affordable bags work perfectly.

I do personally think my lululemons do a great job of holding their shape and looking new through multiple washes and wears. Some of my 3+ year old leggings still look near new. I also think they have great customer service, which some people may value as being worth it. However, at the end of the day, you're still paying $100 for a pair of leggings and whether the quality and fit of it is worth it is entirely dependent on the individual!

@2fullofitsometimes Unfortunately I'm not the greatest person to answer this question since I live in California, but none of the core leggings are fleece-lined. lululemon is a Canadian company though, and they actually do release fleece-lined leggings online during the fall and winter seasons! I just don't have any advice on them personally--sorry :(

@2fullofitsometimes Hey, I can jump in! I’m a Canadian Lulu fAn (help my wallet I live right next to it!)

Lululemon often releases “brushed” versions of their main leggings like Wunder Unders. It’s the same material but the inside is soft and a little fleecy which makes them warmer, so that’s a good option! They also have special warmer tights like the Toasty Tech right that are released seasonally!

@silkybunny I'm usually a medium in all pants, I have a booty. For some reason, I'm a 6 in the pants, which baffles me. In a couple colors I'll get an 8 because it's see-through. Majority of the time I buy 6's. Is this normal?! Lol!

@silkybunny This is amazing. My question - is there any way to pay less than $100+ a pair? Are there ever sales, specials, or coupons? I’d love to own a pair but at that price it isn’t possible for me.

Back