Getting fit after giving birth

holmeselectric9

Hi, I am looking for advice for getting in shape after giving birth. I will be going in for a c-section sometime in the next couple of weeks, and plan on breastfeeding.

I’ve been told not to focus on dieting or weight loss during the first six months as this could reduce milk production, but that losing about 1 pound per week would be safe.

I was already overweight before getting pregnant (flirting between overweight and obese using the bmi scale) so I figure by the time 6 months rolls around I will probably still have weight I’d like to lose.

Plus, I haven’t been fit in a while now and I am missing that feeling.

I am thinking of increasing cardio after the 6 month mark (right now only walking about 15-20 minutes at a time), adjusting what I eat, and then when I lose some body fat of adding in strength training.

More info: I’ve gained about 20 - 25 pounds during the pregnancy. I don’t feel pressured into losing weight quickly or anything, I just want to feel better and to prepare for the toddler stage. I’m pretty unconditioned in all aspects of fitness. I also moved overseas and it’s harder to get a lot of protein here. I am eating anything that has a significant amount of protein, but a lot of sources here are vegetarian (lentils and such), which is very different from how I used to eat in the US.

Thanks for reading my long post!

@holmeselectric9 I was overweight when I got pregnant with my first and technically gained ~30 lbs during my pregnancy (I say technically because I actually lost a bit of weight from being so nauseous in the first trimester). This is just my own experience but I immediately lost all the weight I had put on like… a week after giving birth, with both my kids.

What I’m saying is, I think 30 lbs is approximately the weight of the baby, placenta, amniotic fluid and extra blood volume. This may not be your experience but you may be surprised to find yourself at about the same weight as before.

Additionally, I actually involuntarily lost quite a bit of weight from breastfeeding, despite an increased appetite. I’m just saying that this may or not happen to you but it seems like all we hear is that having a baby will make you gain weight but it’s not always the case. I actually ended up on the lower end of the healthy BMI range after my second, all without trying.

Anyway, whether you end up needing to lose weight or not, just make sure to get your pelvic floor and abs checked before you start exercising (especially in ways that may aggravate any issue). Also know that pregnancy can be very taxing on your body and you may suddenly have a bunch of aches and pains. That was extremely shocking to me, especially considering I was in my early 20s. I don’t want to discourage you, it all eventually went away and I ended up more fit and healthy than I had ever been after kids and it was so worth it. You can start fast-paced walking when you feel ready and it gets the ball rolling. Also, I found having young kids kind of helped making better choices when it came to nutrition once they started eating: no more takeout or frozen pizzas and obviously vegetables at every meal.

@holmeselectric9 Please remember to be kind and attentive to your body after birth. I had my kids 13 years ago and am still recovering.

Take your time. Enjoy being with your baby. Your body will change, for better or worse, in the years to come, but other aspects of motherhood are fleeting. Try not to miss them.

@holmeselectric9 I didn’t want to say, but I think so. I understand that right now you’re probably in “planning” mode. I can tell it’s a priority for you so no matter what I’m sure you’ll make it work!

@holmeselectric9 11 weeks postpartum here after baby 2. Mainly formula feeding but breastfeed occasionally for bonding. Both vaginal births so a bit different.

I was 165 before having my first, stayed around 185 after birth until I got pregnant with my second. The pregnancy was r-o-u-g-h rough and pretty much depleted all fitness and health from me (vampire baby sucked my blood dry)

Honestly, walking is a lifesaver. Once cleared just do a little walk a day. Then walk longer and farther.Its good for you and baby and bonding as well. Baby wearing while you walk? Basically Rucking!

Since doctors don't recommend a big calorie deficit like you said, work on the fitness aspect of your goal! Get some basic dumbells and set up a routine where during a nap you can pump out some sets. Sit on that excersize ball you probably have for the 3rd trimester and throw on a show, you only need 20-30 minutes for a decent session. Buy some 5lb weights, once you progress buy some 10lbs and sell the 5lb ones, and so on. No need for a whole setup.

You're already waiting at least 6 months before being able to go hard and make fast progress, may as well make some slow progress while you wait :) Just moving your body after pregnancy will feel sooo good I promise

@holmeselectric9 Just wanted to let you know about Get Mom Strong (aka Strong Like A Mother). I wish I knew about it sooner. I have really bad diastasis recti, which is how I first found my way to the program. But it has changed my body so much, I'm stronger than I've ever been in my life. Can't recommend it enough.

@holmeselectric9 I gained 60ish lbs in my pregnancy (135 up to 195). The first 20 fell off in the first 2 weeks. Then I basically plateaued (lost another 5ish lbs) until I started eating a bit cleaner and paid attention more to my diet around 3 months. My daughter was also a colicky Velcro baby so there was no way to exercise and we were in survival mode. I’m 5.5 months pp exclusively breastfeeding and down 40lbs (155)! My goal is for sure lose 20lbs but ideally I would like to lose atleast 30lbs (125).

I’m currently losing about 1lb a week. I’m not strictly dieting but I’m eating high protein and low carb. Focus on Whole Foods and nutrient dense. Exercising 4-5x a week on average a mix of cardio and strength training. Plus I do a mom’s walk thing once a week. Personally I’m not willing to risk my milk supply until my daughter is a year so I won’t go any more restrictive until then.

Slow is fast. I did basically nothing until Iw as nearly 3 months postpartum. Then I did a month of rehab focus. Now I’m ramping back up to normal strength training. I’m doing birthfit programs and loving it!

@holmeselectric9 The biggest thing for supply is consistently removing milk via baby/pump. I do attribute my supply in part to being very focused on breastfeeding those first 3 months. Even now my priority is giving my daughter constant access to nurse if she wants. She had ties and we did like 2 months of speech/feeding therapy + I’ve donated over 1000oz of milk but having constant access and being very consistent with feeding on demand were key.