Gym-ing for months but not improving weights?

@klara6 Yes I can’t lift any heavier than that. The second, lower rep ranges are basically my maximum, some days I struggle hitting even those 10 reps and have to do 8! Which is why I just can’t understand why I still can’t go up in kg after months, especially the shoulder press, 10kg isn’t much haha!

@rania Are you able to do even one rep at the next highest weight? You’re doing a high number of reps already, if you want to progress use the next highest weight you have and do as many reps as you physically can, even if it’s like 3-5 reps. The next time you try maybe you’ll get in a few more reps, but maybe you need to stick to a small number of reps until you build up the strength. You won’t progress if you don’t try higher weights in slow increments!

@kabriana I’d probably be able to do about 2 reps maybe at the next weight. For context, on the 8-10 reps weight for each exercise, my arms are shaking quite hard and form beginning to fall apart at the last rep.

But you’re right, I’ll have to just go for it and add those 2 reps regardless and try to increase it. Thanks!

@rania You need a burnout exercise. Something you can do until you collapse and not injure yourself. And for the first set aim for close to the highest weight you can go for

@rania 10 reps isn't a low rep scheme by any standard. Do 8 if you have to but stop switching the weight up for the exercises. Use the heaviest you're capable of. And stick with the same number of reps for at least 2 weeks. Then try progressing by doing more reps instead of adding weight. Once you get to 12 reps, then add weight.

If you're struggling from day to day with lifts you were able to do before, check your hormones and diet. Make sure you're resting between 2-3 minutes for each set.

I'd also consider using a traditional program. Maybe do PPL and take out leg day.

@rania Considering you train for triathlons on top of weight training, do you eat enough? By enough I mean in a surplus, with the amount of exercise you do maintenance probably isn't enough for your body to build strength and muscle.

As for your programming, here it seems the problem with your program is that there's probably not enough variation in rep ranges, you only do high reps. If you did the program yourself I'd suggest following a program made by an expert instead (see the sub's FAQ).

@laudeturiesus Not 100% sure but I presume so. I used to track macros and calories every meal for a few months straight last year, thought I got an idea of what the food I eat looked like and what I needed, so stopped since and just kind of guess based on past tracking. But I’m definitely not losing weight, and I estimate to have quite a high body fat % especially around my middle, so I’m just assuming I’m eating enough? My approach since starting triathlon the past couple years has been recon rather than build-cut cycles, as naturally I don’t have a great body type for that (put on weight easily). Also I always try to get protein in at least one of my meals (eg meat, fish, fake meat) and if I don’t for some reason I’ll have a protein shake.

Interesting point about variation, I hadn’t considered that, only been focussed on overloading

@rania
Not 100% sure but I presume so.

Honestly you might want to try and track for some time again. You tracked last year, ok, but was your exercise regimen the same at that time? If not, your calorie needs are not the same. Even when we think we can eyeball it, a lot of times we can really underestimate how much food we actually need (I know I do, I'm not a big eater).

If you're not losing weight it means at least that you're not on a deficit. But if you're also not gaining... you're probably not in a surplus either. Again, since you're doing that much exercise staying at maintenance likely won't cut it if you want to gain muscle mass.

As for protein, I agree with the other response you got. Just like calories, you need more protein than you think.

edited to add: focusing on overloading is great, but having different rep ranges helps in building strength and helps with overloading. That's why usually compounds movements will be done on lower ranges and with heavier weights, and then accessory movements will be with lower weight and higher rep ranges (very simply put). For example in your original post you said you managed to up the weight for shoulder press but "only" did 5 reps. Going into the 5 rep range is perfectly fine, it allows you to lift heavier.

But imo you'd be better off doing a premade program rather than try to do your own thing. Lack of good programming is the other reason you're not seeing results.

@laudeturiesus True, I think I will resume tracking for a while, sounds like it might be my protein that’s the culprit. Thinking about it I used to have a shake and a protein “shot” (mini shake) every day, and now I mostly don’t drink them anymore.

I’ve been aiming at maintenance and not surplus or deficit, mostly to avoid more fat as I already have high %, but maybe I just need to bear it for a while.

Thanks!

@rania Maintenance will mean slow progress if your protein is right. If you not only eat at maintenance but also don't eat enough protein you're essentially swinging at water.

@rania Protein should be in all your meals. You need between 1.2 to 2.0 g of protein per kg of bodyweight. At your fitness level, I'd aim for the higher end. A normal serving of meat or fish or a protein shake wouldn't go past 25 g protein.

@klara6 1.2-1.5g/kg/day is generally enough. Most published research seems to agree with 1.5g/kg/day being near the upper limit of what your body will absorb.

And I don't know what protein shakes you're drinking but even my vegan shakes are 30g. Non-vegan shakes at basically whatever I want them to be, so I regularly eyeball 1.5 scoops for ~40-50g. And my turkey burger patties are 32g/patty.

@danielfromcanada The range you provided is still within what I recommended. However, the American College of Sports Medicine, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Dietitians of Canada don't shy away from the upper range I stated. I generally eat in the lower range myself. However, there's enough evidence that the upper limit of what a body can absorb goes past 1.5 g per kg of bodyweight. And a triathlete would likely need a higher intake than most. I'm sure they'll do fine at the lower end too if that's the argument you're making.

Similarly, 30g of protein or 32g grams of protein per serving isn't far off from my point. I was averaging the standard serving sizes from different cuts/types of meat and a typical single scoop serving of protein powder. I wasn't implying that you can't get more than 25 g of protein in a meal. That wasn't clear in my initial comment so apologies for that. (I never said I was drinking protein shakes, by the way.)

OP is 51kg and stated they only try to have one protein-centered meal per day and in absence of that, drinks a protein shake. Even with a scoop and a half of protein powder, this suggests they're not getting much protein in their diet to support their growth.

@klara6 Yeah, I think that was the point I was making. I just know that a lot of the times when a range is given, like we both did, it's common to interpret that as "Just look at the higher number, because more is better". But you're certainly right that a single protein meal per day isn't enough for OP.

Personally, I know I struggle with 1.5g/kg/day sometimes since I'm reasonably lean, but still 82-84kg.

@rania I don't think you're necessarily doing anything wrong, other than perhaps your goals are conflicting. Weight training during tri season is needed. That said, you're burning and working so hard, you're body isn't exactly in a surplus to gain right now.

Hopefully someone seasoned can add something more here.

@rania A few possibilities - inneficient program with lack of progressive overload, not eating enough calories to build muscle, not eating enough protein?

Back