How do you get enough protein?

@tootsiepop52 Honestly, it’s a little bit good luck and a little bit hard work. I’ve struggled for years to get in a good routine. I just focused on one bit at a time and let the rest fall into place slowly. Not to be too touchy feely, but making changes from a place of self care and respect rather than shaming myself has made a huge difference too.

@tootsiepop52 I eat the same as you (but not crap): 80-100g protein per day ~2500kcal daily, & I’m 5’11, 175 lbs.

I’ve been pole dancing this past year (it was more fun for me than bouldering), so I don’t necessarily want to bulk, but my back and arms have gotten ripped af — I’ve never worried about protein, and will continue not worrying about it since the only foods that lack enough protein per calories are ultra processed shit, sweets, and white rice.

Even my tomato juice is 16% calories from protein, which comes out to 80g on a 2000-calorie diet.

@froginmaryland 90g was actually highballing it. I don't have a dhit diet, but I eat quite a bit of crap. Pole-dancing is so cool. Trief it once, thought I could do something as a climver and got my ass handed to me.

@nathanpaul I get 120-140g of protein a day. And about 1600cal. I’m 5’2”, 115lbs, I lift 5 days a week and do hiit 2-3 days a week. Protein shake with pb2 and protein flax milk, protein bar, pastabilities pasta with Tvp, curried lentils or chickpeas with tofu or Tvp, seitan (homemade also), nuts, ramen with Tvp or tofu, Tvp burrito with a carb balance tortilla.

@dgodshelp7 The 150 includes a low-moderate amount of body fat rather than muscle mass. Since I’ve upped protein I’ve started seeing a shift in body composition. I should just add to the post… I was doing 1.6g/kg and not seeing results and generally feeling pretty cruddy, so I increased until my energy levels and strength gains improved. I know I shouldn’t need that much to gain muscle, but it seems in practice that I do.

@nathanpaul That’s great if it actually works for you but there are endless variables in someone’s life, how could you be sure that upping your protein is what shifted your energy levels? ironically, protein takes more energy to digest than other macros so the is a sweet spot and diminishes returns beyond that spot. Maybe you’re getting extra energy from a totally separate source and assuming it’s the protein overload. If so, you’d be putting extra strain on your kidneys for no good reason. Everything i’m seeing is that your upper limit should be 136 grams, maybe you need to go a little higher but 200 on a ~2000 calorie diet seems wild. if i were you, i’d look for more energy in something that i know isn’t damaging my kidneys.

@dgodshelp7 Thankfully, you’re not me and can choose your own diet. I get plenty of feedback from the actual professionals I work with who know me and my intake. And the whole protein damages healthy kidney thing is really not supported by much evidence. That’s just not how the kidneys work.

@nathanpaul Homemade seitan is a godsend, but if you don’t have patience and don’t mind the processing, Morningstar has chik’n strips that are 24g protein in 140 cal. Very convenient.

I finish my day off with 1/6th lb of lentils with peas and spinach. I toss whatever spices I’m feeling. I batch cook them for the week, toss them in two Pyrex’s to scoop out later, and just reheat. 20g protein 53g carb 0g fat.

I always have tofu and have half a brick daily using MacDougal’s baked tofu recipe which is like lime juice, Nooch, poultry seasoning, soy sauce for a marinade and tossed in the oven for 40 minutes. I cook two blocks at a time.

Also, I got scared of using most protein powders and avoid added ingredients when I can, so I use Naked Pea Protein with no flavor, blended frozen banana and milk, and will usually toss in some extracts or berries or pb for flavor.

@nathanpaul 1 block tofu pressed and sliced
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp Nooch
1 tsp lime juice
1/2 tsp fresh garlic minced (can sub for powder)
1/4 tsp fresh ginger minced (can sub for powder)

Marinade tofu in other ingredients for 30+ min. Preheat oven to 350F. Place sliced marinated tofu on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 40 min flipping halfway.

Very easy and delicious.

@aptiv245 I have just discovered the wonders of tofu coated in soy sauce, nooch, and rotisserie chicken seasoning. Air fry at 400 for 13 min and omg it's so good. Just made a giant batch today for the week. I use 2tbsp of nooch per tofu block, and use super firm tofu, to max the protein.

@jakob1997 The best research I’ve heard is 1.6g/kg for most people. To the best of my knowledge, there’s no harm in going over, it’s just work. The research showing kidney issues is focused on animal proteins and hasn’t yet been replicated with plant protein, as far as I know.