I re-designed the Recommended Routine Workout Log

rcast99

I've been using this amazing Workout Log Print-Friendly Workout Log by @cantsed , for last few months, and it's been super useful, but there were some needs it didn't covered for me.

First, I love paper, I don't like to write down the number of reps in an app or an excell sheet, at least, while on the field. When I'm practicing my exercises, I like to have a pen, or a pencil, and a piece or paper. And write not just numbers, but notes, lots of notes! refering to technique, to quality of the exercise....I'm a "quality over quantity" person. Most Workout Logs are number-oriented, and the original design of this RR Workout Log has a place, down the page, for notes, but it wasn't enough for me.

Aditionally, my approach to the log and track of a routine is to set goals, and track them, micro-goals from day to day. For example, if I've managed to do 6 Pull-ups one day, the next day I should try to do 7, or to improve my technique. This indication is important to me, when I'm training the next day, I want to have this indication very handy, near from me. That's why I have an "Estimated" reps field, and another field for actual reps you've achieved. You try to do what's estimated, and you write down what you actually did. From this two pieces of data you can deduce a lot of things.

It's really helpful to me to have what i've planned for that day just in front of my eyes, even if I'm unable to achieve it, that teaches me I over-estimated myself.

Another thing was... in the original design, 1 day = 1 Page. But normally, I like to look what I did in my last training session. To improve this, and to save paper, I thought it would be nice to change the unit

1 week = 1 page

The whole week on a single page. It has to be a BIG page to squeeze all that, so I chose a bigger piece of paper: A3 format. This new design is a tri fold brouchure design in A3 format.

So, conclusions:

- New format: A3, a whole week in a tri fold format, a bit more enviromental friendly.

- Every exercise has it's own "Notes" field, for notes specifically refering to that exercise.

- More fields for notes: Down in the page, huge white gap, and upper-right, another field for notes

- Structure has been mantained (warm-up, triplets, pairs...), but names of the exercises have been removed, for simplicity, so you can fill the exact name of the progression you are in

- Lots of good things from the original design has been kept

I hope it helps someone out there

Printable A3 Recommended Routine Workout Log

It looks like this when printed and folded:

I hope this is an oportunity to give back a little bit of all I've been given by this amazing community that has helped me soo much over time. A big Thanks to you all!

P.S.: Feel free to: Copy, Download, Share, Modify... since non-commercial use is kept.

@edwinli I think this also might be the original commentators own app and he's just trying to advertise it since I see no reviews and only has around 10 downloads.

@edwinli how can I improve? I am not graphic so it is just what I searched during app watching. but any suggestions I will try to apply.

@tamh Maybe....

Use a Sans serif font?

Buttons of similar size, and not in a rectangular shape, maybe more rounded.

Use a simple color scheme, try warmer colors? Just thinking out loud