Manna Tutorial

@johm I assume by "bent over or face down" you mean the shoulder flex pulls I mentioned.

With standing extensions you are doing 100% of the work, whereas with the SFP there's little work involved getting the weight to the end ROM and holding it there is helped by lack of mobility. You can easily compare it with 10 lb dumbbell.

You're correct in that it's similar to the end movement, but I find it provides no benefits: the extension part is better trained with standing extensions and there are more productive ways of training pike mobility. Combining them into one is less fruitful than keeping both elements (SER, PiM) separate.

@greatisyourmercy24 I meant something similar, but for example lying on the floor face down shoulder extensions. I used to do them a while ago like this.

I've tried shoulder flex pulls, it feels like my body cheats the weight up with spinal flexion (and if I do a lot I get a sore back).

Seems like the standing version has the largest moment arm where the movement is already so hard - where the arms are perpendicular to the body and behind. If lying face down makes it too easy, can't you just use a heavier bar?

Anyway, this is just my intuition on the thing. I can't do a manna so I'll defer to your expertise!

@onthepathtogod There's really no way to estimate, since there are so many variables—this goes for all exercise and progress. I've seen some people progress their mobility from average to excellent in a few months, while others take over a year to go from barely touching the ground to head-to-knees pike.

If you really want a number, I'd say 1-2 years if you're consistent, hard-working, and smart (read: follow the post's advice).

@greatisyourmercy24 Just wanted to come in and say thank you so much for this! I've always tried looking for a good detailed explanation for the manna but nothing great was out there till I randomly landed onto this! This is awesome!

@giants24 Glad it's helpful. I was the same way, which is why I experimented and wrote this. No solid tutorial that examines the Manna step-by-step. A lot of tutorials seem to be all over the place with easy exercises, then bam! you can do the move, when this isn't the case at all.

@greatisyourmercy24 Haha yes for sure. Also I know you started at around age 16 and I just started recently age 17 now its been a 1/2 years and would like to know what are some important lessons you learned along your skills training? Is there things you wish you knew that you know now? It would be very helpful to hear your experience thank you!

@giants24 Two main points:
  • Consistency is the most important part of any training. I've built up to decent strength quite a few times, only to have it regress after not training. Slow progress or even maintenance at some strength level is better than regression.
  • Find a plan and stick with it. I am a big fan of experimenting on myself, which in combination with inconsistency caused both poor progress and regression. The RR, Overcoming Gravity, etc., are all popular for a reason: they work. The routine you dreamt up on your own probably doesn't work nearly as well.

@greatisyourmercy24 That’s amazing to hear! I’m 15, but I’m below average in strength since I used to live a most sedentary life + my crazy metabolism doesn’t equal muscle or any weight. ;-; I’m 40 pounds underweight for my age(15) and height(5 ft and 10in). I think in 1-2 years I’ll be strong enough to start manna and planche training. I’m so incredibly happy I started calisthenics early. :)

Back