My name is Brandon Wynn, Captain of the US Mens Gymnastics Senior National Team, AMA!

@snowy123 Three questions:

1- What is your personal approach to flexibility and mobility needed in Gymnastics (ie straddle, pike, bridge etc...)? Any unusual methodology?

2- You mentioned your "Brandon Wynn style" and without divulging all of your secrets, whats one thing that you do differently from the common training practice, be it progression, technique, form, or just general training theory?

3- What's the number one reason you use 1st Phorm? What exactly makes them the best in your mind? Finally, what's the most important supplement for someone involved in gymnastic/bodyweight style training?

Thanks for taking the time to do this!!

@perseveringwife0224 the flexibility needed in gymnastics is achieved by doing all the common stretches. that being said, if you want a skill that requires extra flexible you need to accommodate. The best way to look at it is from your end goal first ad work backwards.

this leads me into your second question. What i like to do that is a bit different is start with my end goal first and work backwards.
EXAMPLE: i am advanced and want to learn an inverted iron cross. i would study the skill and identify what it needs:
Flexibility
strength
stabilization
core strength

i would make a plan for each of those aspects and and incorporate them into 1 big workout that progressively builds.

1st Phorm's #1 priority is the quality of their product. There are a lot of supplement companies out there that are beginning to sacrifice the quality of their product to meet the demand of the growing market. This is rendering a lot of the supplements on the market not bioavailable for our bodies( our bodies cannot use the nutrients due the extreme denaturing of the product). this makes these products a waste of money and time. 1st Phorm has the slow and most expensive production process on the market today and makes products that our bodies can actually benefit from.

@snowy123 First, as a University of Oklahoma men's gymnastics fan, I wanted to say I look forward to seeing some of them and the rest of your team compete in the Olympics next year!

For my question - I'm a female in my 20s and I enjoy gymnastics as a form of exercise but my training in it is minimal. Is it worth finding an adult class in my area or can I learn most of it on my own at home and still get a good workout?

@snowy123 What's your max time for planche and maltese (floor, parallel bars, rings)? How about iron cross? Have you measured your one rep max bench, overhead press, squat, and deadlift before?

@holisticherbgirl i haven't measure the max time for any positions or done much testing for lifts. When i was younger i did bench press a couple of times and was about to do around 2.5 times my body weight.

@snowy123 Thanks for doing this!

We just enrolled our daughter in gymnastics; she's almost 2. As a coach, I understand the importance of a wide breadth of sporting opportunities for athletic development. Also at this age, our primary emphasis is keeping it fun and engaging for her.

Any outside recommendations you could share about your athletic development throughout your youth?

@phongtranh142 As a coach, I'm thoroughly impressed by the toddlers curriculum. It's a 30 minutes session with 10 minutes of exploration of toddler/kid size bars, rings, beams, monkey bars, ramps, foam pits, trampolines, and ladders. Next, 5 minutes of singing while stretching and parent led tumbling & rolling. Followed by 15 minutes of an obstacle course that goes through all the modalities in the toddler gymnastics room.

As a performance coach, I just want her to be exposed to the basics of tumbling, inversion, hanging, swinging, climbing, and other proprioceptive rich movement patterns.

@cruisyazzcleanspurtz Not gonna lie, I'm kind of jealous of your daughter. I wish my parents got me into gymnastics when I was a kid! Instead I got over a decade of swimming due to a sibling's near drowning incident. We did compromise on synchronized swimming for the last couple years, but I think I'd have enjoyed gymnastics even more.

@dawn16 i have had a couple injuries but nothing too big. The important thing to remember is that even during an injury there is something you can be doing to make yourself better. In terms of training time, during an injury i am in the gym just as long or longer then when i am injury free.

@snowy123 "there is something you can be doing to make yourself better."

Thanks for taking the time to reply man. Pretty motivational to be honest!

@snowy123 Brandon, I follow you on IG, love it. What sort of training do you do for lower body / legs? In general, do male gymnasts train their legs? Squats, deadlifts, etc? Is it needed at all? I think gymnastics is one of the sickest sports, but I can't help but wonder if gymnasts have weak/small legs (though being able to do all of those flips makes me wonder otherwise).

Also what is the PED scene like for competitive gymnastics?

Back