Question thread for our AMA with Dr. Brandon M Roberts and Dr. Peter J Fitschen starting Wednesday April 15th!

@trumpeter2 I don't know that I have an exact amount here; however, it will be interesting to see longitudinal data on individuals who consume very high percentages of their diets from meat.

@great_depression At this point, gut microbiome research is in its infancy. Aside from the general recommendation to eat a high fiber diet I think it is far too early to give any specifics based upon the microbiome. However, it will be interesting to see how this field of research advances in the upcoming years and how that potentially changes practice.

@great_depression I think we're still in the characterizing phase of the gut microbiome. My wife works in the microbiome field and there is just so little known it's incredible. We barely have any intervention studies that would be relevant to BBers.

@paparazi257 Do you have any training strategies for getting more benefits from sarcoplasmic hypertrophy? Maybe phases of different training styles similar to periodization where you instead train specifically for it? Does it require anything special to maximize it?

@great_depression I don't know that I ever have a training phase specifically for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy; however, I do think that training with a variety of rep ranges is generally a good idea and there is some data to suggest that varying rep ranges may be superior to always training in the same rep range.

@paparazi257 Thank you both so much for your insights! it has been tremendously helpful, personally you've given me plenty of things to think about.

Now I know we're way past the schedule but just in case you're still around, I realize we forgot to ask some questions to go further in depth in a subject that we can never seem to get right around here: cardio.

Both of you have written and talked about concurrent training in several occasions, with the big takeaways being about how to deal with the interference effects, for example treating the acute hypothesis by putting cardio either directly after training or separated as much as possible, and favoring high intensity interval training (HIIT) over low-intensity steady-state (LISS) as a solution to the chronic hypothesis. However as you have mentioned (and Dr. Fitschen touched on this in one of the other replies) they are not without fault, since for example high amounts of LISS can still produce interference regardless of timing, and HIIT producing similar stimulus and fatigue compared to our weight lifting exercises means it increases the recovery demands in that area.

Considering that the problems are exacerbated during the state of a contest prep, which incidentally is the time when we're the most interested in cardio, and your extensive experience coaching clients, what have you find works the best during that time? Specifically wondering about whether you have found it's best to focus on one type 100% over the other, or to mix them, and if you try to keep cardio at minimum (working mainly through a caloric deficit when possible) or don't worry much about the amount of it and prescribe it from the start.

@niecey85 I typically try to keep cardio as low as possible while still seeing progress. Generally, I will first focus more so on the food side of things with the adjustments.

From there, I would probably move into doing a bit more with steps/LISS since you can do them anywhere/anytime and they are low intensity. If you have the average person walk 2000 extra steps a day you are going to get next to 0 interference with trying to squat the next day vs. if you had them do more HIIT.

Cardio in the form of MISS/HIIT is usually something I don't really start adding in until later in prep if necessary. However, some of this depends upon where an individual is starting prep as well because where they are coming into prep acts as their baseline that you have to create a deficit off of. However, in an ideal world cardio would be low and food high heading into prep so you have plenty of options and room to work with.

@mrtdm33 Cottage cheese is a complete protein and does have adequate amounts of all essential amino acids.

However, if cost is an issue there are likely cheaper forms of protein than cottage cheese. Things like tuna, eggs or even protein powder may be cheaper on cost per gram protein basis.

@paparazi257 Q4 both:

This may be a common question but i have not yet found a definite answer. Is it really possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time? If so, what type of diet and training plan would be best?

@honglee333 Maybe to a smaller extent in a trained lifter, but likely not to a larger extent.

However, if someone was a beginner, just coming back off of a layoff and/or using PED's you could see both at the same time to a meaningful extent.

@paparazi257 Q4Both:

Chicken or the egg question: for you who are both scientists and competitors, what came first, the interest for seeing how science can be applied to change the body, or the practice of the sport, with the rest being an extension?

@niecey85 I got into bodybuilding while I was in high school so for me the interest in competing came first followed by the wanting to learn more about the "why" and how I could become a better bodybuilder.

Back