Question thread for our AMA with Dr. Brandon M Roberts and Dr. Peter J Fitschen starting Wednesday April 15th!

@niecey85 I don't know that anything necessarily annoys me, but I do think one major issue is unqualified coaches giving advice. While you don't need to be educated formally to be a great coach, you do typically need to do more than just 1 show/prep and trial/error a number of things on yourself (and ultimately clients once you get them) over the years in order to really be able to help others.

@niecey85 I am fortunate to have a home gym in my back garage with a squat rack, adjustable bench, barbell with over 400lbs of weights, adjustable db I can make a set up to 105lbs or a single heavier dumbbell, ez bar, plate-loaded pulldown/row with multiple attachments, dip belt for things like belt squats/donkey calves/dips/pull ups, v bar for corner t bar rows, leg extension/ham curl, preach curl attachment, about 7 sets of bands ranging from stuff you pump up with backstage to heavier elite fts powerlifting bands, etc.

Many of my clients are not that fortunate; however, we have found ways to get creative with bands, light weights, etc. to ensure they are keeping intensity up in the gym and training close to failure to stimulate hypertrophy. Based upon the progress pics I'm seeing their workouts are doing job to hold muscle even in those dieting/prepping for shows. There is definitely more than 1 way to get the job done.

@paparazi257 Q4Both:

Do you think stepping up on stage is for anyone who enjoy lifting? If not, then when someone comes to you for advice about it, which boxes should they check for you to give the ok?

@niecey85 Definitely not.

They should really want to compete. Not just do it to "see how they look" or "see if they can do it".

I think they need to have a good relationship with food and no eating disorders. They need to have a lot of time to do cardio/train and get their steps in. They need to not have a lot of stress. They need a good support system that understands what competing means or is willing to learn.

Does everyone always have that? Nope.

@niecey85 I don't think that competing is for everyone.

If someone was to consider their first show, some things I would recommend / like to see prior to starting prep:

- They have been lifting for a while an built a sufficient muscle base.

- They have been to a show in person to get an idea of what to expect

- They have been out of a deficit for a while with food high / cardio low.

- They don't have any serious injuries.

- They can stick to a plan when food is high and they aren't super restricted like they would be during prep.

- Having some evidence they have successfully cut just to a sustainable body fat in the past is nice to know.

- Ensuring they can financially afford competing (it is not cheap!).

- They are in a good place in terms of their relationship with food, exercise and body image.

@dawn16 Consume a high protein diet from mostly whole foods.

Train hard - monitor strength in the gym

Also monitor things like what your body weight is doing, visual change, how clothes are fitting, body measurements, etc. to ensure you are progressing.

Back