No joke post

danield93

Hello fellow Kettlebellers,

I hope everyone is healthy and well,
Due to me being in grad school since early September, I barely find time to exercise and I haven’t been sleeping well / eating healthy either.

I’ve been thinking about setting up a quick workout early in the morning , I wake up at 4AM

The plan is : 100 Pushups

200 KB swings
100 KB goblet squats
7-10k rowing daily

If anyone of the esteemed and experienced members in this sub could provide some insights / advice I’d be very grateful.

I need to workout again or I’ll lose my sanity , the workload in university is insane.

Thanks

@danield93 I don’t believe that this is a sustainable program to do every day on top of every day life. That being said you don’t have much to lose by giving it a go and adjusting based on how you feel. 100 kb goblet squats a day sounds like some form of cruel and unusual torture

@victoryj Agreed. I've been doing the basic DFW for the past month at about 5:15-5:30 3 monrings a week and really enjoy it. I jog some on the off days and throw in a few getups. Until it gets really cold I do it in our unattached garage, whereas I used to go to the nearby gym. No need anymore really.

@victoryj I've been doing Schedule B of Easy Muscle which is more or less a variation of this - 3 days/wk C&P/FS day alternated with chinup/dip day. Gets the job done.

@danield93 Way too much. Not sustainable IMO . Pick an EMoM of Clean squat press. Or Kentucky burpees. Set timer for your time 10 to 20 minutes. Go.
Stop.
Repeat another day

@danield93 no time for a workout? just put a kettlebell in front of the bathroom door, or next to your desk.

pick it up and swing it for 1-2 minutes every time you walk past. no need to dedicate time for a workout when you can do 2 minutes at a time 5x per day. get some bloodflow though your body and your brain will work better too.

tomorrow, do some clean & jerk, and maybe getups on the 3rd day, etc.

pushups anytime you getup from your desk.

my buddy has a chin up bar in the bathroom door frame.

@danield93 When are you going to bed?

If you aren't sleeping well, maybe getting up at 4 am isn't the best plan?

To me, step 1 seems like get your sleep right. Till then, just do something simple like 100 swings in 10 minutes and trying to work more walking into your regular day.

Steps 2a and 2b are increasing from 10 to 30 minute KB workouts and eating better (either order...or ideally at the same time). If you're looking for 20 minute programs, check out something like Dan John's KB easy strength or Iron Cardio. Or even do a 20 minute version of DFW.

But sleep should almost always come first IMO (except maybe in short spurts).

@danield93 I get that everyone is different, but I used to try to sleep 6 hours a day. And it really messed me up.

I read "why we sleep", and then got a lot more respect for the value of sleep.

Now I'm trying to get at lest 7 a night. But it's hard because I basically taught myself to be an insomniac. But after a couple years of working on it, I sleep pretty well most nights...but still get consumed by anxiety maybe once ever 2 weeks.

@danield93 If you're at Uni and dealing with a punishing workload.. further punishment of this sort is just going to grind you down even further. Hats off for wanting to continue training but I'd pick something more sustainable and prioritizing sleep over anything else so you don't crash and burn.

@danield93 The excellent designer of Kettlebell programs Geoff Neupert:

“It’s not how much work you can do, it’s how much you can recover from.”

As others have pointed out, this is a pretty aggressive workout schedule. It really is dependent on your self discipline to make this much time each day to do the work and, more importantly, your body’s ability to recover.

@danield93 When I was 23 and in the best shape of my life 5’11”, 195# and a 6:23 mile I would never have dreamt of this. Day 3 of those push ups and gob squats and I’d quit. Or scale back to 50/150/50. Beat of luck in this endeavor young fella, you have my hat off just for attempting.

Edit 195.